The Student Room Group

University of Kent or Canterbury Christ Church University for Psychology?

Hi,
I wont be living in student accom so don't need to know about that. I have checked league tables etc already but would like to hear from anyone that has studied psychology at either of these unis. I think I prefer the modules slightly more at CCCU but not enough to fully sway me to that option.

Is Kent Uni's bad rep justified?

Is Christ church a 'good' uni?

What was the course like?

What are the amenities at the uni like?

Are staff helpful and accessable?

How would you rate the location?

I'm not the biggest partier and not one to be out every night. Which uni suits that vibe better?

Anything at all that you can tell me about either uni would be helpful, even if you didn't/don't study psychology. Please be honest (brutally) but keep it friendly in the comments.
TIA!
Reply 1
I haven't heard anything about Kent having a bad rep. I would say the opposite: Christ Church has some negative connotations attached to it and doesn't have the best reputation tbh. That's not to say it's bad! But Kent is certainly regarded higher by uni snobs.

That said, Kent is a very good uni (I'm alumni) and I have friends who completed their Psychology degrees there and loved it. It ranks highly on league tables - but if you prefer Christ Church's modules then don't let that hold you back! At the end of the day, your prospects will likely be the same with a psychology degree from either uni, so just go with what you think you'll find more interesting.

I highly recommend going to both of their open days to get a vibe check though! Good luck with everything! :smile:
Original post by Laura22xx
Hi,
I wont be living in student accom so don't need to know about that. I have checked league tables etc already but would like to hear from anyone that has studied psychology at either of these unis. I think I prefer the modules slightly more at CCCU but not enough to fully sway me to that option.

Is Kent Uni's bad rep justified?

Is Christ church a 'good' uni?

What was the course like?

What are the amenities at the uni like?

Are staff helpful and accessable?

How would you rate the location?

I'm not the biggest partier and not one to be out every night. Which uni suits that vibe better?

Anything at all that you can tell me about either uni would be helpful, even if you didn't/don't study psychology. Please be honest (brutally) but keep it friendly in the comments.
TIA!

Hi!

Sorry in advance for the long answer!

I studied my undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Psychology at the University of Kent and personally really enjoyed it! I mainly chose Kent because of it being close to home and its good reputation for graduate prospects. The BSc Psychology course was really interesting, and covered a wide range of topics from forensic psychology to business psychology (my personal interest). I also liked Kent because it has some really unique psychology labs, like a lab which is set up as a bar to test behaviours under the influence of alcohol.

Personally, I found the staff really accessible, for example my supervisor was always easy to reach on Microsoft Teams or by email, and most staff respond within a day to any emails.

In regards to location, the University of Kent campus is on top of a hill which means it has some amazing views and feels very seperate to everything. But, it's actually really close to the city centre which is either a 15-20 min walk down the hill or a 5-10 minute bus ride! I am from Kent so was very familiar with Canterbury, but if you're not, it's a lovely city with lots of shops, restaurants and history!

I also am not the biggest partier and only went to the club on campus a few times, but still found lots of stuff to do around campus. During my undergraduate, I joined a few different societies, like Kent Dance, and there is loads of different ones so I'm sure there will be something for you: https://kentunion.co.uk/activities

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions let me know!

Natalie :smile:
- University of Kent Student Rep
Hey!

I won't repeat what others have said but as a Psych graduate from CCCU I can't recommend it enough! I'm still here after completing my MSc as well!

We have just had brand new facilities open for our psychology students and our academics are amazing as well. If you already have an interest in a specific area then it's also worth checking out the academic team as there might be someone (either at CCCU or UKC) who would be able to support your research into that area.

If you are local, it would definitely be worth coming to visit us and meet the team and see the facilities. Maybe even popping up to UKC as well. We have an event on Saturday August 19th (link below in case you fancy it!) or you can book a bespoke visit. Feel free to email [email protected] if this would be of interest.

https://www.canterbury.ac.uk/study-here/applying/visit-us

Let us know if we can help any further!

- LT
Kent is the better uni rep wise and their Psychology department is actually very good.

Quick Reply

Latest