The Student Room Group

should i do my national 5s at college?

hello, I’m a 17-year-old male, I was raised in an abusive household, my mum lied about me having severe autism, so when I entered primary school, I was put in a group with 2 disabled children, we weren’t taught the same as the rest of the class which is annoying imo, because of all of this, I’d say I’m a year behind everyone else, my math skills are extremely poor and so is my mental health.

i’m entering 6th year and i only have 1 national 5, which is music, this is because of lacklustre teaching and because the school didn’t let me do national 5s in 4th year, i done a unit in national 5 numeracy, i also done something called “national 5 english communications” from what i understand it’s different units for english at a N5 level without an exam (that’s what we were told). I’ve been planning on just leaving school and doing my national 5s at college but tbh, but I’m scared that I am as dumb as my mum says, I’m scared that I won’t be able to pass my national 5s and I’m scared that I’ll struggle to get a good job, any advice on my situation?
Reply 1
hey, sorry to hear about your situation.
the units you've done should still count towards a qualification even if you haven't done an exam for them. what subjects are you doing this year? if your school didn't allow you to do your national 5s in 4th year that isn't your fault, you can't help the hand you're dealt.
i think you should still keep trying to get your nat5s at school, but doing them at college is definitely still an option if it doesn't work out. is there a guidance/support teacher or a career advisor at your school? this might be a conversation you should consider having with them.
just by asking this question and asking for advice you've shown you want to give yourself the best chances possible and that isn't dumb, that is empowering.
and by the way, don't worry too much about getting a really good job just now, that doesn't really come to people until much later. have you tried getting a part time job or any work experience? this could help your chances at getting better jobs later on. employers looking for waitstaff/kitchen assistants are more likely to hire people your age and they'd be good for gaining experience in busy environments, which is something they really look for later on.
again don't fault yourself for the situation you were brought up in, it isn't your fault at all and you shouldn't have to reap the consequences. i had a similar homelife, so as one survivor to another: there is always something better out there for you so don't lose hope or give up. it is better to prove everyone who ever doubted you wrong than succumb to their assumptions. i wish you the best of luck in venturing forward.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending