The Student Room Group

Medicine Related Work Experience

Does anyone know of a program in the UK that runs through the month of December for high school students planning on applying to Pre Medicine. I know St Andrews has a summer program for highschoolers, so I was wondering if there are other like oppurtunities in the winter.
There is no such thing as "premedicine" or "premedical" students in the UK, as medicine is an undergraduate degree here and students apply directly to the medical degree from high school.

Some universities do have summer programmes for students, which may or may not be medicine specific, but these are not "boot camps" to increase your chances of getting in, they are normally designed for widening participation purposes to encourage students underrepresented in higher education to apply. Some medical schools (I think Birmingham for example) have a specific scheme for those meeting widening participation flags (normally some combination of being care experienced, eligible for free school meals, or living in areas with certain POLAR scores) to attend during the summer to raise aspirations, and if students attend it then apply to that medical school they may be eligible for a reduced contextual offer.

There are also plenty of predatory companies selling expensive summer school type experiences which purport to teach you how to get into medical schools - these are not generally viewed favourably by medical schools and the latter try and design their admissions processes to ensure students whose families have enough disposable income to send them to such a programme will not have an advantage of students who do not have such privileges.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending