The Student Room Group

Got a job interview for general merchandising at sainsburys on thursday

Hi, im 17 and got a job interview for a new sainsburys opening near me as a general merchandise assistant. Any tips or things i should know when doing the interview?
Hi @Saadisdaone

Congratulations on your interview!

They will probably want to know how you deal with stressful situations, fast-paced environments and customers. It is always best if you can answer these questions with an example too. So before your interview, I would think of some situations you have been in that show off your skill set. The STAR method is good for this. If you are unfamiliar with it, then do a quick search on Google, and there will be lots of information!

Also, make sure you have read the job description so it is fresh in your mind for the interview. Try and look out for things like whether they would prefer to be comfortable working alone, as an example.

Wishing you all the best, good luck!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Saadisdaone

Congratulations on your interview!

They will probably want to know how you deal with stressful situations, fast-paced environments and customers. It is always best if you can answer these questions with an example too. So before your interview, I would think of some situations you have been in that show off your skill set. The STAR method is good for this. If you are unfamiliar with it, then do a quick search on Google, and there will be lots of information!

Also, make sure you have read the job description so it is fresh in your mind for the interview. Try and look out for things like whether they would prefer to be comfortable working alone, as an example.

Wishing you all the best, good luck!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Thank you so much for the tips, i would like some clarification on that last bit though, what do you mean by 'would prefer to be comfortable working alone'?
Reply 3
Original post by Saadisdaone
Hi, im 17 and got a job interview for a new sainsburys opening near me as a general merchandise assistant. Any tips or things i should know when doing the interview?

Why did you apply for this job
Why do you want to work with Sainsbury's
Have you any previous experience working in retaining ( not necessary required as training will be provided).
What days are you available to work and what hours are you able to do.

What questions are asked at the Sainsbury's general merchandise assistant interview.
When have you provided excellent customer service..
What do you know about Sainsbury's..
When have you gone above and beyond at work....

As one of our General Merchandise Assistants, you'll help to position and sell our fantastic Tu and Habitat brands, and make sure our homeware and entertainment products are laid out to catch customers' eyes. The great news is you don't need to bring any previous experience.

Nobody can give you precise questions and answers for your interview due to fairness to others who may be also applying for the same position as yourself but I have given you some examples of what you might be asked.

I work in retail currently part-time ( was previously full-time) as team leader and I also stand in occasionally as supervisor with a big name supermarket.
Reply 4
Original post by Tracey_W
Why did you apply for this job
Why do you want to work with Sainsbury's
Have you any previous experience working in retaining ( not necessary required as training will be provided).
What days are you available to work and what hours are you able to do.

What questions are asked at the Sainsbury's general merchandise assistant interview.
When have you provided excellent customer service..
What do you know about Sainsbury's..
When have you gone above and beyond at work....

As one of our General Merchandise Assistants, you'll help to position and sell our fantastic Tu and Habitat brands, and make sure our homeware and entertainment products are laid out to catch customers' eyes. The great news is you don't need to bring any previous experience.

Nobody can give you precise questions and answers for your interview due to fairness to others who may be also applying for the same position as yourself but I have given you some examples of what you might be asked.

I work in retail currently part-time ( was previously full-time) as team leader and I also stand in occasionally as supervisor with a big name supermarket.

thanks a lot 🙏🙏 I already have 6 months of work experience by now at texaco as a store assistant. So I should hopefully have an edge.
(edited 3 months ago)
Thank you so much for the tips, i would like some clarification on that last bit though, what do you mean by 'would prefer to be comfortable working alone'?

Hi @Saadisdaone

No problem!

So what I meant by that last bit is that sometimes, on a job description, employers will list their desirable qualities/requirements. The desirable section will list skills that are not technically needed for the job but are nice to have. So, for example, one desirable quality may be 'comfortable working alone' or 'able to work with little to no guidance'. Those are just a couple of examples, but if you can show that you meet some of their desirable criteria, too, that is always a plus!

Sorry if I confused you earlier! Hope this helps:smile:

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Reply 6
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Saadisdaone

No problem!

So what I meant by that last bit is that sometimes, on a job description, employers will list their desirable qualities/requirements. The desirable section will list skills that are not technically needed for the job but are nice to have. So, for example, one desirable quality may be 'comfortable working alone' or 'able to work with little to no guidance'. Those are just a couple of examples, but if you can show that you meet some of their desirable criteria, too, that is always a plus!

Sorry if I confused you earlier! Hope this helps:smile:

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Alright thanks
Reply 7
thanks a lot 🙏🙏 I already have 6 months of work experience by now at texaco as a store assistant. So I should hopefully have an edge.

You are welcome 🤗🤗

Any experience is better than none.
Working with Texaco will be useful especially if you are also dealing with fuel pumps as you'll know things on this as well.

You have a slight edge especially if those who are also applying for the same role as you don't have any knowledge.
Reply 8
Original post by Tracey_W
You are welcome 🤗🤗

Any experience is better than none.
Working with Texaco will be useful especially if you are also dealing with fuel pumps as you'll know things on this as well.

You have a slight edge especially if those who are also applying for the same role as you don't have any knowledge.

I have a friend who is hired and said most of the assistant staff are 16-18 year olds, so i should stand out a little
Reply 9
I have a friend who is hired and said most of the assistant staff are 16-18 year olds, so i should stand out a little

Thanks
You will be fine especially with previous experience and your friends who are ages between 16-18 currently doing this job.

Agree you should stand out more with you having retail experiences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending