The Student Room Group

Copycat Cousin???

Growing up I didn't really have much of a close relationship with my extended family, one of my cousins is a few years younger than me and I'd like us to become closer and hang out more often because she's not close with any of her wider family either and she's the only other girl in my family that lives nearby.

I've been a bit put off this idea lately though, because I'm noticing too many coincidences. She copied my subject choices at school and when she found out I got a job, she ended up doing the same thing. Then when talking about uni choices she mentioned the same as mine back when I applied to unis and when she was telling me about her degree subject, I was honestly really happy for her - I hope she does well and is successful!

But then not too long after this conversation, she decides to take a gap year like me and ends up choosing the same course as me - a complete 180 compared to her old course she chose. I'd like her to do well and I harbour no ill will towards her, but I just find this all really weird. I've known in the past her family do have a bit of a superiority complex going on (no bs, years ago her mum said that she didn't like it when we doing better than her ) and this does give me a lot of that vibe.

I don't know how to go about things, I do care about her - but the copying thing is uncomfortable and I really can't be bothered playing the competing game. :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Growing up I didn't really have much of a close relationship with my extended family, one of my cousins is a few years younger than me and I'd like us to become closer and hang out more often because she's not close with any of her wider family either and she's the only other girl in my family that lives nearby.

I've been a bit put off this idea lately though, because I'm noticing too many coincidences. She copied my subject choices at school and when she found out I got a job, she ended up doing the same thing. Then when talking about uni choices she mentioned the same as mine back when I applied to unis and when she was telling me about her degree subject, I was honestly really happy for her - I hope she does well and is successful!

But then not too long after this conversation, she decides to take a gap year like me and ends up choosing the same course as me - a complete 180 compared to her old course she chose. I'd like her to do well and I harbour no ill will towards her, but I just find this all really weird. I've known in the past her family do have a bit of a superiority complex going on (no bs, years ago her mum said that she didn't like it when we doing better than her ) and this does give me a lot of that vibe.

I don't know how to go about things, I do care about her - but the copying thing is uncomfortable and I really can't be bothered playing the competing game. :frown:

is it possible for u to just not let her know etc until it will be too late for her to copy u on it ....and u could maybe confront her about it....?
Reply 2
is it possible for u to just not let her know etc until it will be too late for her to copy u on it ....and u could maybe confront her about it....?

I have told my mum not to say anything about me anymore and I'm also not telling her things either.
I'm not sure how to go about confronting her :/
I have told my mum not to say anything about me anymore and I'm also not telling her things either.
I'm not sure how to go about confronting her :/

thats a step in the right direction
in terms of confrontation, maybe you could indirectly say it, like have a conversation and then be like dont u hate it when .... and u could also say stuff like its amazing to be inspired by somebody but its important to develop ur own individuality etc and it might be hard but if she continues just ignore her actions, do what best for u and if she is copying u or whatever it wont affect ur outcome wither way..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending