The Student Room Group

Mitigating circumstances

I had a family tragedy earlier this year and it disrupted my education for A levels. I took Maths, Physics and computer science. I self learned the entire maths course, but I had gaps in my knowledge for Physics and computer science. by the time exams came, everything was fine, except I self learned some of the modules i missed out on earlier on the year. This obviously affect my performance in my exams. I was predicted an A*A*A but will likely get an A*AB. which is still good but it wont get me to my firm.
I recently found out we were supposed to inform the exam boards about these situations, but i had no idea. if my firm choice is in clearing (and it surprisingly was) can i still tell them about it and ask them to just judge my grades with a bit of context.
Reply 1
Original post by Hiim
I had a family tragedy earlier this year and it disrupted my education for A levels. I took Maths, Physics and computer science. I self learned the entire maths course, but I had gaps in my knowledge for Physics and computer science. by the time exams came, everything was fine, except I self learned some of the modules i missed out on earlier on the year. This obviously affect my performance in my exams. I was predicted an A*A*A but will likely get an A*AB. which is still good but it wont get me to my firm.
I recently found out we were supposed to inform the exam boards about these situations, but i had no idea. if my firm choice is in clearing (and it surprisingly was) can i still tell them about it and ask them to just judge my grades with a bit of context.

Sorry to hear that. I believe you would have had to let your school/college know and they would have contacted the exam boards about this. If they accept it you could get a small percentage added to your marks.

In regards to your firm, you could contact the university but they may require proof that the tragedy had occurred around the time of your exams.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest