The Student Room Group

first job went literally horrible lol? rant?

after months of applying i finally landed a job as a dishwasher at a local restaurant mid-november, and its been a great learning experience so far but they've just fired me because i was too slow. they usually have 2 dishwashers on shift at a time but today i was on my own for most of it, and it was one of the most busy days during the week. literally just what is that reasoning! i asked if i could have another go but they just said no and to not show up for my other shifts. another thing is that they hadnt even given me any contracts or forms to fill out to get my bank details for payments, so ive mostly been living on cash tips that are handed out every shift. i spoke to them about it and handed over my details after they fired me and they said the payments would land in my account thursday at the latest. the other staff were nice enough but they also got ****ed at me when i didnt know what to do because i had been given no training. (my training was literally just being shown where the kitchen was and being babysat by someone who had literally only been there for a month. wtf)
idk if its just me but this is literally a terrible experience as a first job, and terrible reasoning to fire someone considering the conditions. im not too mad about it because a kitchen environment is definitely not for my taste but i was trying not to sell myself short by avoiding those jobs but this experience has definitely been in poor taste. my first job and i only lasted a few weeks. anyone else have a situation like that for their first job lol
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
oh yea me...
i had this job at this chippy... the owner wanted me to look after the entire chippy by myself,... clean, serve, wash dishes, get the billing done,
then one day a lady with kids comes in... i serve her and as the owner was on the counter i went to wash the dishes... the seating area was not visible from the washing area... and the lady kind-of walked out without paying...
and i was fired from the job... taught me to take how much i can handle and be vigilant.
Yh haha I work front of house and my old boss once left me as the only person on shift doing bar, food running, actual serving / greeting customers etc. while he was in the kitchen. Not a fun day. He also stole like a grand’s worth of tips (they were “stolen from his office”) and took the tenner someone gave me so that was nice of him
Reply 3
Original post by SRodrigues
oh yea me...
i had this job at this chippy... the owner wanted me to look after the entire chippy by myself,... clean, serve, wash dishes, get the billing done,
then one day a lady with kids comes in... i serve her and as the owner was on the counter i went to wash the dishes... the seating area was not visible from the washing area... and the lady kind-of walked out without paying...
and i was fired from the job... taught me to take how much i can handle and be vigilant.

wow that sucks, sorry u got fired for that, they should have more than one person working to avoid stuff like that
Reply 4
Original post by HumptyDumpty:)
Yh haha I work front of house and my old boss once left me as the only person on shift doing bar, food running, actual serving / greeting customers etc. while he was in the kitchen. Not a fun day. He also stole like a grand’s worth of tips (they were “stolen from his office”) and took the tenner someone gave me so that was nice of him

damn thats awful, did he ever end up giving you the money back?
Reply 5
Original post by awfulrad
wow that sucks, sorry u got fired for that, they should have more than one person working to avoid stuff like that

Nah.... he just just an awful person... his wife even more so...
Original post by awfulrad
damn thats awful, did he ever end up giving you the money back?

I got 30? quid. Which given that the tips were split by hours and I didn’t do many isn’t that bad but it deffo wasn’t what I was owed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending