The Student Room Group

getting help for dyspraxia

I was diagnosed with the condition at the age of 18. after a 30-year career as a mental health nurse, I am now retired and have enrolled with the Open University to read for a degree in Art history part-time.
My last module was a creative writing module at a level, equivalent to the 2nd year of a BA Hons in bricks and mortar uni.
I was advised to take this module by a previous tutor, who felt that I might have a" talent".
So I took their advice, however, the module has been sheer hell.
I have been belittled and mocked by the tutor who had no time for me and criticized my presentation, grammar and spelling.
I have asked for help but none is forthcoming, the University has asked for proof of diagnosis, and I have asked my G.P. put the diagnosis in writing.
However, I live in one of the most deprived towns in the country and GP is snowed under with work and their clerical support is somewhat lacking.
The O.U want me to under psychometric testing again, for which I will have to pay £ 800.00.
As my only income is my NHS work pension I can't afford it.
I can't see any way forward It just seems to me that getting a degree is not possible for me due to the OU rules and regulations, I am fed up, It's just another thing that I am prevented from doing..... Has anyone else had this happen to them
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending