The Student Room Group

Jobs with biochemistry and gentics degree

So I'm about to start my degree at Uni of Sheffield,
I've always been interested in genetics and would like to do something regarding genetics
The only concern I have about jobs in the science field is I'm autistic, and I was wondering what the labs are like (are there constant machines on) and do all labs require you to wear a face mask
Also what other jobs would there be using this degree not in a lab
Reply 1
Hello, I'm also starting uni this year, for biological sciences, so I'm also interested in biochemistry and genetics! The information I found about careers relating to these topics all comes from the NHS website. Here's the link to the info about the job of a clinical geneticist:
https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/doctors/roles-doctors/medicine/clinical-genetics
From this, it doesn't seem to suggest face masks are mandatory 100% of the time, which I would also presume is true based on government guidance and the NHS staff guidance pages I've found, but I could not be 100% certain. As well, I think that with clinical genetics in particular, it seems like a lot of work takes place outside of the lab too, so I'm not sure if it's that sort of role you're looking for either, but with that, if machines were on all the time, you wouldn't have to be present with them all of the time. I would hope that accommodations would be able to be made too, when at the job if it is discussed as it seems like hopefully more people are becoming more aware. (I am also currently considering looking into seeking an autism diagnosis so I hope someone else maybe knows more so I can also find out haha)
Reply 2
Original post by aarynmb
Hello, I'm also starting uni this year, for biological sciences, so I'm also interested in biochemistry and genetics! The information I found about careers relating to these topics all comes from the NHS website. Here's the link to the info about the job of a clinical geneticist:
https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/doctors/roles-doctors/medicine/clinical-genetics
From this, it doesn't seem to suggest face masks are mandatory 100% of the time, which I would also presume is true based on government guidance and the NHS staff guidance pages I've found, but I could not be 100% certain. As well, I think that with clinical genetics in particular, it seems like a lot of work takes place outside of the lab too, so I'm not sure if it's that sort of role you're looking for either, but with that, if machines were on all the time, you wouldn't have to be present with them all of the time. I would hope that accommodations would be able to be made too, when at the job if it is discussed as it seems like hopefully more people are becoming more aware. (I am also currently considering looking into seeking an autism diagnosis so I hope someone else maybe knows more so I can also find out haha)

Thank you so much for this information,
I hope you enjoy the degree and get the assessment soon
Hi, current Biochemistry student at Sheffield here!

I didn't see the vast majority of people wearing masks, so I believe it's optional.

In regards to machines, it depends on the practical sometimes, but in some of the labs since you're dealing with microbes and stuff that you'll have to have some machines on for longer periods of time or maybe 24/7?

And a few times we've had some staff doing their own things in the lab, and they use some machines sometimes too. I would say if you're worried about the noise or machines being on to contact the bioscience department.
Original post by Jess_Lomas
So I'm about to start my degree at Uni of Sheffield,
I've always been interested in genetics and would like to do something regarding genetics
The only concern I have about jobs in the science field is I'm autistic, and I was wondering what the labs are like (are there constant machines on) and do all labs require you to wear a face mask
Also what other jobs would there be using this degree not in a lab

Hi Jess_Lomas,
My name is Sofia and I am a 3rd Year Biochemistry student. There are many interesting paths to follow if you're interested in genetics. This ranges from the more clinical side, to microbial genetics and even possibly even some projects that could include coding (R, Python etc.). This could be a career that possibly wouldn't be as lab-based and would be more Bioinformatics/ data science if that is something you would be interested in. You will probably be introduced to this at some point in your degree (we tended to do a little bit of this each year).

I am awaiting on an autism assessment myself, and I would like to reassure you that there is a lot of support available for you via the Dyslexia and Disability Support Service (DDSS). If you are concerned about how you may find the labs, I would contact them and they will help make arrangements that best suit you.
Also, masks have not been compulsory in most of my labs this year.

I hoped this helped,
Sofia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending