The Student Room Group

Biochemistry

I am currently at school but am interested in a career in biochemistry. Stem cells sound interesting. If anyone has any advice on careers in biochemistry I would love to hear from them. I'm interested in:
Wages
Qualifications
Possible benefits

Thankyou
Original post by alastair_rugby
I am currently at school but am interested in a career in biochemistry. Stem cells sound interesting. If anyone has any advice on careers in biochemistry I would love to hear from them. I'm interested in:
Wages
Qualifications
Possible benefits

Thankyou

Hi alastair_rugby,
My name is Sofia and I am currently a 3rd Year Biochemistry Student at the University of Sheffield. I have really enjoyed my time studying Biochemistry. It is a very interesting and engaging course with a wide range of things to learn about from microbiology to genetics and cell biology. I am currently doing my undergraduate degree, but I am continuing on to do a masters degree next year. Equally, I have friends that are instead choosing to do teacher training or taking a year out to complete a year of work experience in industry. There are many different things you can do with a Biochemistry degree from working in academia (doing a PhD, postdoc etc.) to working in industry (Pharmaceutical companies) or even going into scientific writing or patent law.

I think there are lots of benefits to doing a biochemistry degree! The course has given me both a broad range of scientific knowledge as well as key skills that could be useful in the workplace, such as team-work and communication. These skills can be gained through lab work and other group projects. Overall, I would highly recommend Biochemistry!
I hope this helps,
Sofia (3rd Year Biochemistry Student)
Thank you for reaching out to me Sofia that was very helpful
Original post by alastair_rugby
Wages
Qualifications
Possible benefits

Thankyou

This is literally me 12 or so years ago - biochem and stem cells in particular!. I advise you to either expect to follow all the through with a PhD for this, or more realistically, expect to get a job in something non-related so get lots of white collar work experience. otherwise, the outlook is very negative
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending