The Student Room Group

Making flashcards or buying premade ones?

I'm going into y11 and I'm stuck between buying and making flashcards. I've already made some for some topics but I feel like they take a lot of time and may not have all the relevant info, so it might be easier to buy ready made ones like from cgp or something. But on the other hand, making flashcards is also a form of revision and helps me recall content and condense info. I get really unmotivated to make flashcards sometime so idrk, does anyone have any experience or advice
(edited 8 months ago)
which board do u do? if ur doing edexcel then, i used flashcards from physicsandmathstutor for my sciences and that was what helped me a lot. id say if u want something like written revision, try making chap summaries but personally i prefer just studying from ready made ones
Original post by zziawoo
I'm going into y11 and I'm stuck between buying and making flashcards. I've already made some for some topics but I feel like they take a lot of time and may not have all the relevant info, so it might be easier to buy ready made ones like from cgp or something. But on the other hand, making flashcards is also a form of revision and helps me recall content and condense info. I get really unmotivated to make flashcards sometime so idrk, does anyone have any experience or advice

When you make your own flashcards, you can customise them to your needs. If you don't know if they contain all the information they need use your course specifications to help you. The CGP ones aren't specifically designed for you, they can be helpful but if you can make your own they are likely to be more beneficial.
Original post by j3ssica jon3s
which board do u do? if ur doing edexcel then, i used flashcards from physicsandmathstutor for my sciences and that was what helped me a lot. id say if u want something like written revision, try making chap summaries but personally i prefer just studying from ready made ones

I do a mix of edexcel and aqa depending on the subject

i do like to use physicsandmathstutor but i also like having some physical ones

how did you do on your GCSEs?
Original post by zziawoo
I do a mix of edexcel and aqa depending on the subject

i do like to use physicsandmathstutor but i also like having some physical ones

how did you do on your GCSEs?

i got 6 A* and an A (my school switched from edexcel to cie for eng outta nowhere so im not surprised).

if u like having physical cards then get them cuz whatever ur comfy with helps. like for sciences i was fricking flash with my flash cards which wouldnt have been as easy to do withh the physical ones yk. like i mentioned i used the online premade ones and my chap summaries. what did u use for yr 10??
(edited 8 months ago)
i got 6 A* and an A (my school switched from edexcel to cie for eng outta nowhere so im not surprised).

if u like having physical cards then get them cuz whatever ur comfy with helps. like for sciences i was fricking flash with my flash cards which wouldnt have been as easy to do withh the physical ones yk. like i mentioned i used the online premade ones and my chap summaries. what did u use for yr 10??

wow congrats on your results! for my y10 mocks i made some physical flachcards myself for some subjects and for others i looked through textbooks and used online notes/summaries on cognito, physicsandmathstutor, mygcsescience etc

i feel like my revision methods are inconsistent. e.g. i made flashcards for physics and chemistry but not for bio, i'm not even really sure why i didn't. i did end up getting 9s for all 3 but i think i might become too lazy to make flashcards for all the science topics when actual GCSEs come round.

thanks for your advice so far, i think i will probably utilise online flashcards more and potentially get a few pre-made physical ones for subjects i don't think making flashcards in
Original post by zziawoo
wow congrats on your results! for my y10 mocks i made some physical flachcards myself for some subjects and for others i looked through textbooks and used online notes/summaries on cognito, physicsandmathstutor, mygcsescience etc

i feel like my revision methods are inconsistent. e.g. i made flashcards for physics and chemistry but not for bio, i'm not even really sure why i didn't. i did end up getting 9s for all 3 but i think i might become too lazy to make flashcards for all the science topics when actual GCSEs come round.

thanks for your advice so far, i think i will probably utilise online flashcards more and potentially get a few pre-made physical ones for subjects i don't think making flashcards in

good job on ur mocks!

now thinking abt it me too i just realised i only used flash cards for bio... ig im inconsistent too- like for chem id refer directly to stuff i highlighted in my txtbk(except for physical chem which i made notes for) and physics i just had this doc of hard/common qs so um yea bro whatever works works 🤷*♀️ good luck for ur gcses. since ur on this website i think you'll do great <33
Reply 7
Make your own flashcards, but use websites like pmt. I reccomend only making flashcards for diagrams, keywords or 6 mark questions as they are very time consuming to make.
(edited 8 months ago)
good job on ur mocks!

now thinking abt it me too i just realised i only used flash cards for bio... ig im inconsistent too- like for chem id refer directly to stuff i highlighted in my txtbk(except for physical chem which i made notes for) and physics i just had this doc of hard/common qs so um yea bro whatever works works 🤷*♀️ good luck for ur gcses. since ur on this website i think you'll do great <33

thank you <3
Reply 9
Speaking from experience (I got 9s in sciences) it's better to make your own because you can customise them, a lot of premade flashcard sets will miss out things and besides the flashcards may not be suited to your needs

Quick Reply

Latest