The Student Room Group

Advice for year 13

Hi,

I am starting year 13 at the end of this year/next academic year. Does anyone have any advice for the summer holidays and the rest of the year, tips, things you wish you did differently etc.?

Reply 1
Original post by 46284290
Hi,

I am starting year 13 at the end of this year/next academic year. Does anyone have any advice for the summer holidays and the rest of the year, tips, things you wish you did differently etc.?

starting year 12 next year so won’t be of any help but wanted to wish u luck for next year!!
Reply 2
Original post by subbhy
starting year 12 next year so won’t be of any help but wanted to wish u luck for next year!!

Thanks, good luck with year 12!
Go over the yr12 stuff that you don’t quite understand or aren’t as good at over the summer so you don’t have to worry about it next year, and if you haven’t been already, make sure to make your revision resources as you go along because the time goes so fast when you’re close to exams. I’m y13 now and I never even finished making resources before the exams lol
My biggest piece of advice as someone who has just finished Year 13 is to be organised. Use your time wisely and find your own way to manage your time e.g. schedule, diary etc. I have learnt that all the effort you put into Years 12 and 13 all go towards your final grades and it's not a case of doing two months of revision before your exams.

I would recommend that you make sure you have a good revision/study method. Make sure in every lesson you understand the topic as this will help you remember things better. After a lesson/during the week, watch a Youtube video and make notes on the topic(s)/Quizlet flash cards. You can also find premade flashcards on Quizlet or Physics and Maths Tutor (not just for Physics and Maths). Regularly review your flashcards to keep them fresh in your mind. Practise questions from Physics and Maths Tutor. Use the specification to make sure you understand everything. If you get an exam question wrong, make sure you understand why you got it wrong and add it to your notes/flashcards.

This is just my advice and seems to have helped me with my STEM subjects. I have also found that the more times you go over revision material the better you will understand it. Make sure you also have time for yourself and don't burn yourself out. This is why I would highly recommend that you stick to a schedule that works for you that enables you to study effectively and look after your mental health. Hope this helps and good luck. What subjects are you taking?
Reply 5
Original post by DFLETCH22
My biggest piece of advice as someone who has just finished Year 13 is to be organised. Use your time wisely and find your own way to manage your time e.g. schedule, diary etc. I have learnt that all the effort you put into Years 12 and 13 all go towards your final grades and it's not a case of doing two months of revision before your exams.

I would recommend that you make sure you have a good revision/study method. Make sure in every lesson you understand the topic as this will help you remember things better. After a lesson/during the week, watch a Youtube video and make notes on the topic(s)/Quizlet flash cards. You can also find premade flashcards on Quizlet or Physics and Maths Tutor (not just for Physics and Maths). Regularly review your flashcards to keep them fresh in your mind. Practise questions from Physics and Maths Tutor. Use the specification to make sure you understand everything. If you get an exam question wrong, make sure you understand why you got it wrong and add it to your notes/flashcards.

This is just my advice and seems to have helped me with my STEM subjects. I have also found that the more times you go over revision material the better you will understand it. Make sure you also have time for yourself and don't burn yourself out. This is why I would highly recommend that you stick to a schedule that works for you that enables you to study effectively and look after your mental health. Hope this helps and good luck. What subjects are you taking?

Thanks for the help! I am taking Biology, English Literature, and Music.
Original post by 46284290
Thanks for the help! I am taking Biology, English Literature, and Music.

The advice will definitely work for Biology but time management is key for all your subjects. Hope Y13 goes well!

Quick Reply

Latest