The Student Room Group

can you defer entry to uni after you’ve started first term

i’m already feeling homesick and i haven’t even started uni yet

the problem is i have already taken a gap year. i’m gonna miss my fam so so so so much and i don’t know if i’m ready to fly the nest… hypothetically if i were to start uni and i find myself struggling to cope… could i push it back another year lol
Reply 1
i want to be coming home like every weekend (parents offering to pay) and every holiday but that doesn’t feel like enough, i want to be home if i have nothing going on at uni. i’m going to miss my parents so much and i’m NOT going to be able to cope i know it
Reply 2
No. It'd be an interruption, not deferral. They usually won't let you interrupt because you're homesick, you need significant mitigation (and homesickness generally does not count).

If you have other mental health issues to which the homesickness is a contributory factor, that's different, but will still need supporting documentation in place.
Reply 3
can you work from home from time to time, like skip a couple lectures, go home during the week and work at home
Reply 4
There's no universal answer. Some places you can get away with that but in my gaff you wouldn't.

If you aren't ready to move away, why even bother?
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
There's no universal answer. Some places you can get away with that but in my gaff you wouldn't.

If you aren't ready to move away, why even bother?

what do you mean by ‘why even bother’ lol, its my future. i need to get a degree and a job. but i’ve already had a gap year. i’m 19 and i feel like i can’t have another.

i’m prepared to live alone in all other ways i.e i am self sufficient but i just want to be with my family and cherish the time i have left with my parents

not sure what else to do tbh
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
what do you mean by ‘why even bother’ lol, its my future. i need to get a degree and a job. but i’ve already had a gap year. i’m 19 and i feel like i can’t have another.

i’m prepared to live alone in all other ways i.e i am self sufficient but i just want to be with my family and cherish the time i have left with my parents

not sure what else to do tbh

University will always be there. If you're legitimately not ready to move out and be away then this will colour your whole experience, I've seen it loads of times. You need to deal with whatever that attachment thing is. It's normal to miss home but it's not normal for it to be crippling you so much that you don't cope.
Reply 7
Or go somewhere local so you can commute, that's the other route if this is a serious issue for you.
I suppose the main question is, “what will have changed in 12 months time?” I suspect you’re dragging your feet a bit because of your attachment to your family, but in a material sense I don’t know what will be different next year.

Above guidance is very good, consider a local Uni and living at home.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending