The Student Room Group

Pls help

I’m really stuck on what to do as I’m in a complicated situation.

I’m in year 13 and I’m looking to study Film studies at uni. I’ve been offered two contextual offers from great unis (Exeter and Reading) but I am torn as what to do because I have also applied to study BA Acting at Guildhall with not much experience in acting except one term of a drama club that I have attended from Sep to Dec of this 2023 academic yr.

I know that I am a very indecisive person and tend to change my mind a lot. Recently I’ve been almost dreading Sep 2024 because I don’t really want to go to uni and live away from home nor do I like the prospect of going to lectures and writing essays/ doing exams etc. I chose acting because I enjoy it and it’s something more vocational and the places I have applied for are all in London so I could live home. The only problem is that I have been falling behind in my A levels so have had to spend this Christmas holiday catching up on coursework. This meant I had no time to prepare for my self tape audition which has a deadline of 7 Days now.

I have to learn about two sides of A4 and I’ve been panicking trying to learn them. I keep starting and stopping and giving up. It’s so draining I don’t what to do! The only alternative would be me staring Uni in 2024 and transferring to an acting BA in year 2. This would mean I would have my whole year 13 summer to prepare for my audition etc and read through the plays and by then I will be a more experienced actor too.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1

I’m in year 13 and I’m looking to study Film studies at uni. I’ve been offered two contextual offers from great unis (Exeter and Reading) but I am torn as what to do because I have also applied to study BA Acting at Guildhall with not much experience in acting except one term of a drama club that I have attended from Sep to Dec of this 2023 academic yr.

I know that I am a very indecisive person and tend to change my mind a lot. Recently I’ve been almost dreading Sep 2024 because I don’t really want to go to uni and live away from home nor do I like the prospect of going to lectures and writing essays/ doing exams etc. I chose acting because I enjoy it and it’s something more vocational and the places I have applied for are all in London so I could live home. The only problem is that I have been falling behind in my A levels so have had to spend this Christmas holiday catching up on coursework. This meant I had no time to prepare for my self tape audition which has a deadline of 7 Days now.

I have to learn about two sides of A4 and I’ve been panicking trying to learn them. I keep starting and stopping and giving up. It’s so draining I don’t what to do! The only alternative would be me staring Uni in 2024 and transferring to an acting BA in year 2. This would mean I would have my whole year 13 summer to prepare for my audition etc and read through the plays and by then I will be a more experienced actor too.

So hang on. Here are the main points

You have applied to do film studies at two good universities

You have also applied to do acting somewhere else

But you don't really want to go to university for reasons

So why on earth are you putting yourself through all this pressure? If you don't want to go to university because you are not ready then why are you planning to go to university? University will still be there next year sometime or forever. You don't have to go this year. Why not take a break from education. Get a job. Experience life. Travel. Then you can work out what you want to do and take the steps to achieve that.

And for what it is worth, yes, acting is indeed fun, but if you are only doing it because you enjoy it, save yourself £28500 and join your local AmDram society. Similarly with Film studies. However, if going to university to do acting or film is part of a bigger picture with a goal at the end of it, then all the very best of luck, but don't go to university because you thought that was the thing to do.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by hotpud

So why on earth are you putting yourself through all this pressure? If you don't want to go to university because you are not ready then why are you planning to go to university? University will still be there next year sometime or forever. You don't have to go this year. Why not take a break from education. Get a job. Experience life. Travel. Then you can work out what you want to do and take the steps to achieve that.

And for what it is worth, yes, acting is indeed fun, but if you are only doing it because you enjoy it, save yourself £28500 and join your local AmDram society. Similarly with Film studies. However, if going to university to do acting or film is part of a bigger picture with a goal at the end of it, then all the very best of luck, but don't go to university because you thought that was the thing to do.

Good luck!

Do you know if I can defer entry to the universities so I can still hold onto my place? But essentially I’d be taking like a gap year. I’ve already received 4/5 offers from UCAS
Reply 3

Good luck!

Do you know if I can defer entry to the universities so I can still hold onto my place? But essentially I’d be taking like a gap year. I’ve already received 4/5 offers from UCAS
Yes you quite likely can.Contact the uni after results day.
Reply 4

Good luck!

You can always ask. But if not just apply when you are ready. You will have an advantage over current students as you will already know your grades so will get a concrete offer.

But seriously, you sound a bit lost. Going to uni for the sake of it is a mistake I am certain 10s of thousands of students make. And it is costly, not just in terms of finances but you only get one shot and if you waste it on doing something you "enjoy", when you get a few years down the line and discover you need a specific degree to set up your future, you can't get funding for it. Unless you have wealthy and forgiving parents university has to be part of a strategy that will set up your future for the next 5 to 10 years if it is to work in your favour.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 5
The only alternative would be me staring Uni in 2024 and transferring to an acting BA in year 2.

You can ask to change programme, but there's no guarantee that a university will allow it. And they probably won't allow a transfer directly into year 2 of another course unless the first year content of the course you're transferring from closely matches the first year content of the course you're transferring to. If you can't move directly into year 2 of the new degree, then you'll need to start again -- having used up your "gift year" of funding.

In some cases a transfer is done internally -- i.e. it's just a change to the university's records; but a university could require you to reapply for the new course via Ucas just as if you were applying for the first time.

It's a bad idea to start a course you don't intend to finish.

Your best move is probably to take a year out and reconsider your options.
Original post by Anonymous

Just ring Guildhall this morning and ask for a 30 day extension to your deadline for your audition
Reply 7
Original post by PQ

Just ring Guildhall this morning and ask for a 30 day extension to your deadline for your audition

Thank you for the suggestion! But How do you know they allow extensions?
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for the suggestion! But How do you know they allow extensions?

I don’t. And neither do you unless you ask them.

Most universities will offer extensions where required if they can.
Reply 9
Just take a year out, or 2, or 3. Work, travel, have fun, take as many acting courses as you can, join a theatre group, watch lots of plays, consider doing an acting foundation and then reapply to drama school. It’s unlikely that you’ll get in this year as older, more experienced people are preferred but an audition or two to get the idea of what’s required is a positive move forward.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending