The Student Room Group

Architecture university

What should i get a laptop or ipad for architecture? And which model and brand?
You need to ask your university which software they use. Some cad software only works on microsoft machines. A dedicated graphics card and maximum ram will always help
Reply 2
Original post by alishbah006
What should i get a laptop or ipad for architecture? And which model and brand?

get a windows laptop with a dedicated graphics card and at least 16gb of ram, you'll need it for CAD software and rendering
what's your budget?
Reply 3
Original post by Pedr0
get a windows laptop with a dedicated graphics card and at least 16gb of ram, you'll need it for CAD software and rendering
what's your budget?

Just not TOOO expensive, it can be a bit pricey. Should i get a touch screen one?
Reply 4
Original post by alishbah006
Just not TOOO expensive, it can be a bit pricey. Should i get a touch screen one?

I don't think you'll need a touch screen, only reason I could think of would be to do digital drawing, but whenever I needed to do that in uni I just used a graphics tablet. (much cheaper)
Specific £ budget would be appreciated even a rough one so i can give a proper recommendation. but in terms of things to prioritise for an architecture laptop, you will mainly be using it to do plans/sections in cad or revit (for which more RAM and high-powered CPU = better), and doing renderings (for which you need a good dedicated graphics card)
In general- it’s worth waiting until you start your course to take advantage of student discounts on hardware (and free software from your university).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending