The Student Room Group

Splitting bill? 2 years ? Worker laughed at me?

Me and my bf of 2 years don’t go out much. When we went to cinema it was £40 and he paid for everything and when we went to eat before. Anyways last week we went to eat and it was £50. I said should we go he said yeah call the man over and split it. I ignored what he said and called the man over but he didn’t come. So I told my bf go pay at the chashier. I saw them talking then he came over to the table with the man and card reader I said I can’t pay my phone is dead and said it twice as I was embarssed but then he said no the man gave us sweets do you want it. The sweets was on the tray under the bill. The worker just laughed and my bf paid and we left.

Did he mean it when he said split the bill? I mean I ordered a lot of drinks so in my head I assumed that’s why he said to split. I ignored him because that was awkward. Why would he even say this maybe as a joke? But it’s really put me off I can’t stop thinking about it till this day lool. He pays for a lot of stuff I mean even this week he’s gonna give me some money for my holiday. There was a time we went to eat and I paid because he forgot his card because we wasn’t suppose to go eat and it was £50. When we got home he asked how much was it and he’ll send me the money I said no don’t worry about it. So maybe he didn’t mean it? Maybe he said split it as a joke to see what I would say very obserd???????
Maybe you should consider carrying some of your own money so you aren't so easily humiliated like this?

Obv you come across as pretty entitled here and I hope you know this. Many people would consider turning up like this and expecting to eat & drink heavily without a penny to your name as pretty lame. I'd be too ashamed, unless it was a specific 'I know you are skint, ill pay for it' offer, but the general presumption here makes it look worse.
Reply 2
Why not discuss with him how he was feeling at the time
Original post by Zarek
Why not discuss with him how he was feeling at the time

"You took too long to pay for all my food and drink and now I'm sulking, give me some money" :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
"You took too long to pay for all my food and drink and now I'm sulking, give me some money" :tongue:

Better to get it straight from the horses mouth. If they’ve been together 2 years a bit of straight talking should be possible
Definitely a troll
Reply 6
Original post by StriderHort
Maybe you should consider carrying some of your own money so you aren't so easily humiliated like this?

Obv you come across as pretty entitled here and I hope you know this. Many people would consider turning up like this and expecting to eat & drink heavily without a penny to your name as pretty lame. I'd be too ashamed, unless it was a specific 'I know you are skint, ill pay for it' offer, but the general presumption here makes it look worse.

I’m not skint I have more money than him but my phone was dead and I had Apple Pay my card was also in his car. He brought his card from the car. I would assume him to pay he is the man. However he did pay. Did you read my post properly. I said he did pay he just made a comment which I pretended to not hear and when he came over with the waiter I thought he wanted to split but he told me to eat the free sweets the resturant offered when you leave
Original post by Anonymous
I would assume him to pay he is the man. However he did pay. Did you read my post properly....

Yes I know you assumed that, this is why I don't respect you

I think I read just fine :wink:
I don’t respect you either

I'm a male, you'd 'respect' me just fine if I threw a free meal and a few drinks in your face, right derelict? :wink:
Reply 9
I’m not skint I have more money than him but my phone was dead and I had Apple Pay my card was also in his car. He brought his card from the car. I would assume him to pay he is the man. However he did pay. Did you read my post properly. I said he did pay he just made a comment which I pretended to not hear and when he came over with the waiter I thought he wanted to split but he told me to eat the free sweets the resturant offered when you leave

kind of weird to expect someone to pay for you just because they're a guy. idk I feel like this is a conversation you should be having with him rather than asking some strangers on the internet who probably aren't going to respect you very much for getting annoyed at the fact he suggested splitting the bill ..
Reply 10
Original post by aliaa03
kind of weird to expect someone to pay for you just because they're a guy. idk I feel like this is a conversation you should be having with him rather than asking some strangers on the internet who probably aren't going to respect you very much for getting annoyed at the fact he suggested splitting the bill ..

It’s not just a. Guy it’s my boyf. You people who are saying I’m weird for expecting that clearly never been treated by a man before. Grow up and get some self respect as a woman. What woman splits something with a man they’re dating ew
Reply 11
It’s not just a. Guy it’s my boyf. You people who are saying I’m weird for expecting that clearly never been treated by a man before. Grow up and get some self respect as a woman. What woman splits something with a man they’re dating ew

There's nothing wrong with one of you treating the other to something on occasion, but when you've been in a relationship for 2 years you should be on a much more equal footing and sharing expenses. That's what my self-respect as a woman tells me to do with my boyfriend and we've been together longer than 2 years.

If you lived together, how would you divide the bills?
Reply 12

girl what 😭 my self respect means that I wouldn't get upset like you did at my boyfriend suggesting to split a bill.
Reply 13
Original post by aliaa03
girl what 😭 my self respect means that I wouldn't get upset like you did at my boyfriend suggesting to split a bill.

Who said I was upset omg. I wasn’t upset. I was just thinking did he actually want me to pay half. No way was I upset why would I have been upset when the whole bill was paid and not by me. Then after that he bought me something in the supermarket. I wasn’t upset at all babes
Reply 14
Original post by Surnia
There's nothing wrong with one of you treating the other to something on occasion, but when you've been in a relationship for 2 years you should be on a much more equal footing and sharing expenses. That's what my self-respect as a woman tells me to do with my boyfriend and we've been together longer than 2 years.

No I wouldn’t divide bills and in my religion I don’t need to (Islam) the man is the full provider. I wouldn’t pay for anything tbh. Maybe groceries? Maybe but that’s it. I wouldn’t work full time either so I wouldn’t have as much income. Very hard to raise a household with two people working full time and tired asf this is how relationships break down. No energy for the kids to cook or clean or sexual life.
Reply 15

You can stick to your preference of the man paying for everything. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with a woman choosing to split things with her partner. I've had men treat me and for personal reasons, I don't like letting them pay for everything everytime. I prefer returning the gesture and feel more respected that way.

However, I don't judge more traditional women like you who want the man to be the sole provider. You do what pleases you and let others do what pleases them. Being insulting is absolutely unnecessary.
Reply 16
Original post by Surnia

PRSOM. That's what my definition of self-respect is too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending