The Student Room Group

Should I do a top up year masters in radiography

Hi there, I’m a third year student about to graduate and I’m not sure if should continue on to do an intergrated 4th year masters in CT and MRI. A lot of my cohort have already found band 5 radiographer jobs or have interviews and I haven’t even started looking, as I’ve put in my interest for a masters with my uni. But I’m having second thoughts. All the radiographers I’ve spoken to said it’s a waste bc I can start working and then do a postgraduate internally (through a hospital once I’ve found a job, obv I still have to do an interview/ recruitment stuff). The post graduate would take roughly the same time as doing a masters except I would be a fully trained band 6 at that point whilst studying for another year would mean I still graduate as a band 5 but with a masters.

The thing is I want to go into education and I think a masters would help me get towards so I’m not sure. Any advice would be really appreciated.
Original post by bimbibap
Hi there, I’m a third year student about to graduate and I’m not sure if should continue on to do an intergrated 4th year masters in CT and MRI. A lot of my cohort have already found band 5 radiographer jobs or have interviews and I haven’t even started looking, as I’ve put in my interest for a masters with my uni. But I’m having second thoughts. All the radiographers I’ve spoken to said it’s a waste bc I can start working and then do a postgraduate internally (through a hospital once I’ve found a job, obv I still have to do an interview/ recruitment stuff). The post graduate would take roughly the same time as doing a masters except I would be a fully trained band 6 at that point whilst studying for another year would mean I still graduate as a band 5 but with a masters.

The thing is I want to go into education and I think a masters would help me get towards so I’m not sure. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Would you still need that hospital work experience to go into education? If so, going the hospital route and gaining additional qualifications on the job seems the better option.

Quick Reply

Latest