The Student Room Group

Mature Student Applying for Physiotherapy- Could I maintain a 9-5 part time job?

I am 25, working and living independently (with my boyfriend) in Manchester and looking to study Physiotherapy Full Time at the University of Salford starting September 2024. I currently work full time and have an established career earning over £30k, and I understand that going to uni full time I will need to sacrifice my income and a certain level of comfort.

However, I am hoping I could go part-time with my current employer, or pursue another 9-5 part-time job to supplement my income. Would this be possible when studying Physiotherapy with it being an Allied Health Professional degree?

I know the course is intense and will require placement blocks. But other mature students make it work and they have a lot more commitments than me! (Single Parents, Carers, Families etc..) But I just can't see how I can survive on SFE and the bursary alone

Any advice from a mature student doing this course or similar would be HUGELY appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by Youngmatstudent
I am 25, working and living independently (with my boyfriend) in Manchester and looking to study Physiotherapy Full Time at the University of Salford starting September 2024. I currently work full time and have an established career earning over £30k, and I understand that going to uni full time I will need to sacrifice my income and a certain level of comfort.

However, I am hoping I could go part-time with my current employer, or pursue another 9-5 part-time job to supplement my income. Would this be possible when studying Physiotherapy with it being an Allied Health Professional degree?

I know the course is intense and will require placement blocks. But other mature students make it work and they have a lot more commitments than me! (Single Parents, Carers, Families etc..) But I just can't see how I can survive on SFE and the bursary alone

Any advice from a mature student doing this course or similar would be HUGELY appreciated

Hi - I'm a mature 3rd year Physio student at Salford. Like you, I worried about the drop in salary and ability to do work around the course. In first year you'd definitely have time to do a couple of 9-5s each week, but as the years go on and placements get longer you'd struggle to keep up the same level of work. It works best when you either have a veey flexible employer, or you can find flexible work (e.g. I do a bit a casual work, sports massage and running coaching). Plus dont forget abiut the £5k/year NHS bursary for AHP studnets. You're right in that lots of people with other commitments make it work. If you're committed to doing it, go for it and things will more than likely work out ok! :smile:
Original post by martind44
Hi - I'm a mature 3rd year Physio student at Salford. Like you, I worried about the drop in salary and ability to do work around the course. In first year you'd definitely have time to do a couple of 9-5s each week, but as the years go on and placements get longer you'd struggle to keep up the same level of work. It works best when you either have a veey flexible employer, or you can find flexible work (e.g. I do a bit a casual work, sports massage and running coaching). Plus dont forget abiut the £5k/year NHS bursary for AHP studnets. You're right in that lots of people with other commitments make it work. If you're committed to doing it, go for it and things will more than likely work out ok! :smile:

Thank you Martind44, I appreciate your response

Did you come across anyone on the part time version of this course, and did they provide any feedback or do you have any of your own?

I'm going to an open day soon at the UoSalford, but would love to gain a students perspective of their experience of the different full time and parttime course options!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending