The Student Room Group

Confusion regarding entry requirements for Neuroscience

Hello all

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to ask but I am confused about entry requirements for undergrad courses. I'm looking at Neuroscience and see that some Unis require AAB (Warwick) whilst the same course at Queen Mary is ABB.

Can someone please explain why the same course has different entry requirements? I haven't looked at the modules for each yet but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Thereyouare
Hello all

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to ask but I am confused about entry requirements for undergrad courses. I'm looking at Neuroscience and see that some Unis require AAB (Warwick) whilst the same course at Queen Mary is ABB.

Can someone please explain why the same course has different entry requirements? I haven't looked at the modules for each yet but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Entry requirements are predominently set by how well subscribed the course is for applications. It's not a measure of how good the course is or how academically challenging the subject is.

If a course is very popular and the uni needs to make less offers, they will raise the entry requirements and vice versa.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Entry requirements are predominently set by how well subscribed the course is for applications. It's not a measure of how good the course is or how academically challenging the subject is.

If a course is very popular and the uni needs to make less offers, they will raise the entry requirements and vice versa.

Thank you for replying so quickly - much appreciated. So, when selecting my preferred unis, should I put down a uni whose entry requirements are lower as well as my first choice where the entry requirement will be higher? This is all so new to me - currently in Y12 and trying to narrow down my UG course choices.
(edited 2 months ago)
Thank you for replying so quickly - much appreciated. So, when selecting my preferred unis, should I put down a uni whose entry requirements are lower as well as my first choice where the entry requirement will be higher? This is all so new to me - currently in Y12 and trying to narrow down my UG course choices.

The general advice is to apply to a spread of typical offers roughly along the lines of:

1 or 2 choices perhaps 1 grade above your predictions

1 or 2 choices in line with your preditictions

1 choice at least 1 grade below your predictions

By doing this, you give yourself a reasonable chance of getting at least a couple of offers back. (And the mistake most people make is trying to get five offers back, You only need one firm and one insurance, if you get five offers back you probably didn't aim high enough.)

In the real world you will likely have other factors behind picking your choices, (distance, location, campus type, placements and grad prospects etc), so you might not be able to stick to the above religiously, but it's a starting point.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
The general advice is to apply to a spread of typical offers roughly along the lines of:

1 or 2 choices perhaps 1 grade above your predictions

1 or 2 choices in line with your preditictions

1 choice at least 1 grade below your predictions

By doing this, you give yourself a reasonable chance of getting at least a couple of offers back. (And the mistake most people make is trying to get five offers back, You only need one firm and one insurance, if you get five offers back you probably didn't aim high enough.)

In the real world you will likely have other factors behind picking your choices, (distance, location, campus type, placements and grad prospects etc), so you might not be able to stick to the above religiously, but it's a starting point.

This is such good advice and something I would never have known. I'm so grateful to you.

I just need to look at courses in more detail now. Would you happen to know if I can put down two different courses? Sorry for so many questions. I will search through the forums for more answers to my questions. Thank you!
This is such good advice and something I would never have known. I'm so grateful to you.

I just need to look at courses in more detail now. Would you happen to know if I can put down two different courses? Sorry for so many questions. I will search through the forums for more answers to my questions. Thank you!

Not a problem.

You can apply to different courses, but you need to bear in mind that you can only submit one personal statement for all of them. For that reason it's usually best to pick closely related subjects, (e.g. Finance and Management with Finance, or Biochemistry and Life Sciences), you can then write about common areas between them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending