The Student Room Group

Color-Coding Dilemma: How to Organize My University Timetable on Google Calendar?

Hello, I have just started university, and the institution has already added my timetable to Google Calendar for me. I would like to color-code it to make it visually appealing and, as a result, easier to track, which I believe will also motivate me. However, I am currently facing a dilemma regarding how to implement the color-coding.

Should I assign a different colour to each module, (so like all the assessments and hw etc one module will be the same colour - different modules different colour) Alternatively, should I use one colour for all modules in the timetable, one colour for homework across all modules, and one colour for assessments across all modules?

I dont know which approach would be better, please help me decide.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I have just started university, and the institution has already added my timetable to Google Calendar for me. I would like to color-code it to make it visually appealing and, as a result, easier to track, which I believe will also motivate me. However, I am currently facing a dilemma regarding how to implement the color-coding.

Should I assign a different colour to each module, (so like all the assessments and hw etc one module will be the same colour - different modules different colour) Alternatively, should I use one colour for all modules in the timetable, one colour for homework across all modules, and one colour for assessments across all modules?

Choose one, if it doesnt work, choose the other one
Reply 2

Could you try one, then try the other, and see which works better for you?

Or, if you have lots of colours available, do something that is a combination of the two? e.g. one module is blue, and the assessments etc. are lighter shades?

Also might be worth thinking about it long-term what will you do when you have a load of new modules next term or next year? Will you add extra things e.g. meetings, tutorials, non-uni things into your calendar?
Hi,

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it, it's what works best for you. I use google calendar for everything to keep me organised. I personally use one colour for all my different modules. Then I use a different colour for each of these, for when i have work, assignments, personal appointments/events, study time etc. You could also put the different colours on a post-it note with what they all stand for until you get used to them.

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep

Hi!

Your first year of university really is about trying new study tactics and seeing what works for you! So maybe try one first for a while and see how you manage? If you find that you're struggling to keep track, then you can switch to the other method you mentioned.

I hope this helps! :smile:

Estelle
Third Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending