The Student Room Group

IBS/IBD pain stopping attending college

Hi I’m posting on behalf of my son who despite getting into the college and course he wanted, is suffering so badly from pain he hasn’t managed to stay in lesson and currently I can’t even get him to go into college as anxiety etc make the pain worse and no medication seems to work. Waiting for a referral for further tests but if anyone has been through this that can suggest something I would love to hear it thank you
(edited 7 months ago)
Hi sorry to hear he is suffering are you referring to stomach pains or constipation/ diarrhoea ? If he is anxious/worried this will most likely make the symptoms worse the best thing thing to do is try to remain as relaxed as possible and keep stress to a minimum .
Reply 2
Terrible stomach pains and constantly on the loo, he just can’t seem to relax when it comes to leaving for college and he really suffers
Original post by ESAB81
Terrible stomach pains and constantly on the loo, he just can’t seem to relax when it comes to leaving for college and he really suffers

Definitely go and see a doctor for some professional advice but imodium might be worth a try for some short term relief , also avoiding high fiber foods and eating a plain diet . I had similar issues whilst at college often having an upset stomach, it helped me to get up early to use the toilet and then arrive early to use the toilet again much better than rushing round which often makes things worse . Hope this helps
Reply 4
Thanks he has an appointment at the IBD clinic we tried everything but Imodium so thanks for the suggestion
Original post by ESAB81
Hi I’m posting on behalf of my son who despite getting into the college and course he wanted, is suffering so badly from pain he hasn’t managed to stay in lesson and currently I can’t even get him to go into college as anxiety etc make the pain worse and no medication seems to work. Waiting for a referral for further tests but if anyone has been through this that can suggest something I would love to hear it thank you

Ibs/ibd often causes stomach pains and bloating its best to get plenty of rest and also don't hold in flatulence. I believe a hot water bottle can be good for relief from stomach pains and sometimes just simply having a bowel movement can help relieve the pain.
Original post by ESAB81
Thanks he has an appointment at the IBD clinic we tried everything but Imodium so thanks for the suggestion

No worries hopefully he is feeling better soon

Quick Reply

Latest