The Student Room Group

Should I switch a level?

I am currently doing econ, ,maths and English lit and I want to switch from English lit to psychology. I kind of hate English lit now, I choose it because I did quite well in gcse and it’s a respectable subject but I think it’s quite boring and I don’t really like the subject and I’m wondering if I should just do psychology instead.

Is it too late since I’m in the beginning of my second term. My college allows it but I don’t want to fall behind and is psychology a respectable subject if I want to study something like econ/accounting/finance at uni?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Psychology is a really respectable and important A-Level if you want to go into econ/accounting/finance because a subfield of Econ is behavioural economics and rational choice which includes psychological work. I have never done Psychology but I heard that it's a really complex A-Level - but I bet the complexity will gradually show as you move throughout the year so change while you still have time. And as long as you're in your 1st year of A-Levels, I say go for it. As long as you study and catch up on the work then I'm sure you'll be fine. GO FOR IT B4 U REGRET.

P.S. I also h8 English Lit from GCSEs lol so maybe I have some bias against it but follow your gut.
BTW this may not relate, but I did A-Level Sociology despite the class being majorly made of students who did GCSE Sociology and I graduated from the class with the highest grade (A*). I promise you, you have time to catch up, and if you feel angsty about the work, always try and talk to your teachers about help and support.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Nice_100
Psychology is a really respectable and important A-Level if you want to go into econ/accounting/finance because a subfield of Econ is behavioural economics and rational choice which includes psychological work. I have never done Psychology but I heard that it's a really complex A-Level - but I bet the complexity will gradually show as you move throughout the year so change while you still have time. And as long as you're in your 1st year of A-Levels, I say go for it. As long as you study and catch up on the work then I'm sure you'll be fine. GO FOR IT B4 U REGRET.

P.S. I also h8 English Lit from GCSEs lol so maybe I have some bias against it but follow your gut.
BTW this may not relate, but I did A-Level Sociology despite the class being majorly made of students who did GCSE Sociology and I graduated from the class with the highest grade (A*). I promise you, you have time to catch up, and if you feel angsty about the work, always try and talk to your teachers about help and support.

Thank you very much! This helped a lot
Reply 3
Original post by Jaig23
I am currently doing econ, ,maths and English lit and I want to switch from English lit to psychology. I kind of hate English lit now, I choose it because I did quite well in gcse and it’s a respectable subject but I think it’s quite boring and I low-key hate my teacher because since the day I stepped in to class she has just been giving me dirty looks and whenever I try to ask a question she just shuts me down or ignores me even when I’m the only one raising my hand, so I stopped asking questions and talking in general and now she just picks on me. Not sure what I did, but aside from the teacher I don’t really like the subject and I’m wondering if I should just do psychology instead.

Is it too late since I’m in the beginning of my second term. My college allows it but I don’t want to fall behind and is psychology a respectable subject if I want to study something like econ/accounting/finance at uni?

The same thing happened to me cuz I also switched from English lit to psychology even though I liked it and did well in it at GCSE but the teachers were bad and it was boring. I think you should do it too bcs I honestly don’t regret it. Psychology isn’t even hard to catch up with either, you just need to go over some of the topics that your class has covered using like a textbook or something and you’ll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest