The Student Room Group

[Official thread] Hamas-Israel Conflict

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Supermature
At last.

The UN Security Council has passed a resolution calling for a ceasefire linked to the release of hostages. The US changed its stance and did not exercise its veto.

Israel is now left in no doubt as to the strength of feeling in the international community - including its closest allies - on the way it has pursued its military operation in Gaza. If it chooses to ignore the resolution it will potentially be in breach of international law and in danger of becoming regarded as a pariah state.

As UK citizens we can, for once, be proud of the position we have taken. Our UN representative, Barbara Woodward, made clear the UK's support for the state of Israel and the need for the exclusion of Hamas from the reins of power in Gaza but insisted that this must not come about by imposing a humanitarian catastrophe on an entire population.

This is great news (https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/un-security-council-demands-immediate-ceasefire-gaza-2024-03-25/), finally some level of common sense. Hopefully Israel and Hamas (especially Israel) can be held accountable and sanctioned for their actions and that a 2 state solution (where both sides rebuild Gaza and the West Bank along with getting rid of illegal settlements) is reached.

The hostages need to be released, Hamas needs to be taken down and both sides need to be held accountable and need to rebuild Gaza, Israel or the USA needs to rebuild Gaza and negotiate a 2 state solution but this might be unrealistic.

Also Bibi out, get him out of government (if that’s what people in or who are from Israel want of course).

Edit: but it’s only until the end of Ramadan it seems which is disappointing, it needs to be permanent.
(edited 1 month ago)
The non-profit org World Central Kitchen reports that 7 of its team members have been killed by an IDF strike.

Full statement here:

https://wck.org/news/gaza-team-update

"The WCK team was traveling in a deconflicted zone in two armored cars branded with the WCK logo and a soft skin vehicle.

Despite coordinating movements with the IDF, the convoy was hit as it was leaving the Deir al-Balah warehouse, where the team had unloaded more than 100 tons of humanitarian food aid brought to Gaza on the maritime route."

Edit: The BBC have covered the deaths here, stating that British, Australian and Polish nationals were killed, along with their Palestinian driver. The IDF said it was conducting a thorough review at the highest level to understand the circumstances of the "tragic incident".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-68710515
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by Admit-One
The non-profit org World Central Kitchen reports that 7 of its team members have been killed by an IDF strike.
Full statement here:
"The WCK team was traveling in a deconflicted zone in two armored cars branded with the WCK logo and a soft skin vehicle.
Despite coordinating movements with the IDF, the convoy was hit as it was leaving the Deir al-Balah warehouse, where the team had unloaded more than 100 tons of humanitarian food aid brought to Gaza on the maritime route."
Edit: The BBC have covered the deaths here, stating that British, Australian and Polish nationals were killed, along with their Palestinian driver. The IDF said it was conducting a thorough review at the highest level to understand the circumstances of the "tragic incident".

It's unbelievable that these things keep happening. The IDF will supposedly "carry out a thorough investigation", and then as usual nothing will come of it, and the IDF will carry on as is with impunity. So sad and so frustrating.

The most shocking aspect of this is that they were a widely recognised and clearly marked aid agency, that was coordinating its movements with the IDF. Imagine the normal Gazan citizens with none of that supposed protection. They have no chance and are being killed every day with the incidents not even being regularly reported any more.
Original post by lalexm
It's unbelievable that these things keep happening. The IDF will supposedly "carry out a thorough investigation", and then as usual nothing will come of it, and the IDF will carry on as is with impunity. So sad and so frustrating.

The most shocking aspect of this is that they were a widely recognised and clearly marked aid agency, that was coordinating its movements with the IDF. Imagine the normal Gazan citizens with none of that supposed protection. They have no chance and are being killed every day with the incidents not even being regularly reported any more.

Agree with all of this.

For this to happen repeatedly we can only conclude that the IDF either don't care, or that they are just wildly incompetent.
Agree with all of this.

For this to happen repeatedly we can only conclude that the IDF either don't care, or that they are just wildly incompetent.

I think that Bibi and the IDF don’t care about releasing the hostages (which is what people in Israel want first and foremost it seems based on me looking at the MSM), I think that they just want an excuse to flatten Gaza more than they’ve already done.

Same thing with Hamas, they don’t care about innocent lives either.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68708984

I understand that Al Jazeera has bias (especially in on this subject) but are we not supposed to be championing Israel as the “free and democratic” country on the Middle East?

Silencing media that opposes your narrative doesn’t seem “free and democratic” to me…
Original post by Talkative Toad
I understand that Al Jazeera has bias (especially in on this subject) but are we not supposed to be championing Israel as the “free and democratic” country on the Middle East?
Silencing media that opposes your narrative doesn’t seem “free and democratic” to me…

They’ve been silencing media for the very start.

Foreigner reporters are banned from entering Gaza. You can’t accurately scrutinise the slaughter of civilians if you can’t accurately document it.
I think that Bibi and the IDF don’t care about releasing the hostages (which is what people in Israel want first and foremost it seems based on me looking at the MSM), I think that they just want an excuse to flatten Gaza more than they’ve already done.
Same thing with Hamas, they don’t care about innocent lives either.

Agreed. Bibi does not care about civilian lives, particularly Palestinian ones. He wants to please the extremists in his party so he can hang on to power. Similar to Hamas, who also do not care about civilian lives and want to hang on to power.
Original post by Gazpacho.

Foreigner reporters are banned from entering Gaza. You can’t accurately scrutinise the slaughter of civilians if you can’t accurately document it.

Although it makes it easy for Israel to dismiss anything that is reported as inaccurate/bias due to coming from Hamas-affiliated sources, doesn't it?
Although it makes it easy for Israel to dismiss anything that is reported as inaccurate/bias due to coming from Hamas-affiliated sources, doesn't it?

Yep, they want to tightly control the narrative, as anti government protests in Israel are increasing, and on the international stage they are turning into a pariah state.

I also have very mixed feeling over "Israeli military expresses ‘sincere sorrow’ over deaths of seven aid workers in Gaza". How about the thousands of innocent Palestinians that the IDF killed. Do they not count at all? Why is there no regret of sorrow shown over those deaths? It sounds to me that their only regret is that they have done something that makes them look really bad on the international stage, rather than having any genuine regret over the loss of innocent lives.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by lalexm
Yep, they want to tightly control the narrative, as anti government protests in Israel are increasing, and the on the international stage they are turning into a pariah state.

I also have very mixed feeling over "Israeli military expresses ‘sincere sorrow’ over deaths of seven aid workers in Gaza". How about the thousands of innocent Palestinians that the IDF killed. Do they not count at all? Why is there no regret of sorrow shown over those deaths? It sounds to me that their only regret is that they have done something that makes them look really bad on the international stage, rather than having any genuine regret over the loss of innocent lives.

I was trying to remember another example of them being a bit 'hand-wavey' with regards to civilian deaths and it was circa 3 months ago.
The IDF reported that a refugee camp was struck due to the use of incorrect munitions in an air strike intended for adjacent areas. The Hamas run health ministry said at least 86 people were killed, whilst the IDF stated that there was “extensive collateral damage”.

It seems that we are in an endless cycle of them killing civilians and then saying they'll look into it.
Original post by lalexm
Agreed. Bibi does not care about civilian lives, particularly Palestinian ones. He wants to please the extremists in his party so he can hang on to power. Similar to Hamas, who also do not care about civilian lives and want to hang on to power.

Agreed.

Yep the article mentions that I think. For me this reminds of Russia (not relevant to this thread but still).
Yep the article mentions that I think. For me this reminds of Russia (not relevant to this thread but still).

It is the norm for authoritarian regimes. What isn’t observed or documented can easily be denied.

Yep. Not that Hamas are reliable. It just perplexes me the number of people in this thread that will question claims by Hamas but accept the narrative offered by the IDF at face value.

The first casualty of war is the truth. Etc.
It is the norm for authoritarian regimes. What isn’t observed or documented can easily be denied.

True, even for non-authoritarian regimes I could somewhat say this.
Full statement here:

whats concerning is that you can see the bloody Australian passport ( by bloody I mean blood), released online. its probably not even the worst news we've had this week/ past 3-4 days.

if you take the Israeli narrative, its for security reasons, apparently al Jazeera has been damaging and harming idf soldiers by the info they publish and participated in the October massacre. so its concerning that's the official reason.

al Jazeera has released a response where they say its a smear, it seems like bibi wants to provoke qatar, a mediator for this conflict/genocide ( if you believe that)
The BBC has provided identities of some of the aid workers who were killed. 3 British nationals have not been named yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68711282

Interesting snippet towards the bottom.

"More than 196 aid workers have been killed in Gaza since October, according to the US-funded Aid Worker Security Database, which records major incidents of violence against aid personnel."
Original post by jacksmith23
if you take the Israeli narrative, its for security reasons, apparently al Jazeera has been damaging and harming idf soldiers by the info they publish and participated in the October massacre. so its concerning that's the official reason.
al Jazeera has released a response where they say its a smear, it seems like bibi wants to provoke qatar, a mediator for this conflict/genocide ( if you believe that)

Israel already had poor freedom of press, being ranked 97 out of 180 countries (https://rsf.org/en/index), and with this latest censorship by the most right wing extremists government it has ever had, it is rapidly going south.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending