The Student Room Group

Personal statement starting

How do I begin my personal statement, I just knew i wanted todo my chosen course there was nothing that inspired me or made me want to choose it I just knew it was what i wanted to do so I’m struggling to start my ps with how/why I’m interested in the course, any ideas?
Original post by Mishoupos
How do I begin my personal statement, I just knew i wanted todo my chosen course there was nothing that inspired me or made me want to choose it I just knew it was what i wanted to do so I’m struggling to start my ps with how/why I’m interested in the course, any ideas?

Hi @Mishoupos

The opening few lines I think are the trickiest part of a personal statement.

You could think about

Instead of what inpsire you or what got you interested in the subject, maybe try thinking of what you enjoy the most about the subject, or what you find the most challenging etc. For example, I study fashion design and I find pattern cutting the hardest part of my subject. So I could start by saying how I enjoy fashion, but am yet to master pattern cutting, which is why I want to study fashion at degree level - to better my skills.

You want your statement to sound like your voice, so make sure you start your statement like you would if someone asked you why you want to study your chosen subject.
I personally wrote my opening sentences after I had written the rest of my statement, so that I wasn't caught up on trying to get the opening right. Maybe give this a try and start writing the rest of your statement first? This could help inspire your opening sentence.

I hope this helps and good luck with your application!
Emily

Hey @Mishoupos :smile: What is it you're going to study?

If you can't think of anything in particular that made you want to study this area, then it might be helpful to describe what the subject means to you (eg does it have a big social impact, or is it innovative). Is there a particular modern day example of how you can see your degree coming to life? Or you could look through course pages and get some inspiration by talking about some of the topics/classes you're most looking forward to studying.

I'd echo Emily's advice above - lots of people write their opening statement last! By the time you've written the big bulk of your statement it's often helped you think about the degree and why you want to do it so opening statements get a bit easier to write.

Good luck!
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Hi @Mishoupos,

This may sound like a bit of odd advice but have you considered writing the first few sentences at the end? As you write the rest of your personal statement you may realise why you felt drawn to your degree.

Similar to what Emily (@BCU Student Rep) said above, consider why you think your degree and the impact you could have after studying from it. You could also consider writing about why your degree is important to you/wider society.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending