The Student Room Group

Job applications

Are all jobs application read before sending unsuccessful response to the applicant?
Original post by Zoefav
Are all jobs application read before sending unsuccessful response to the applicant?

Yes, but the degree of 'reading' depends very much on the company and it's processes.

If it's a large company that does hundreds of recruitments a year, then it probably converts applications into a standardised format and then does a computerised filter. That may or may not be read by a human (usually is, but...).

If it's a smaller organisation which has the internal capacity to handle applications, then yes, they will all be read. They might have some very specific requirements they are using to filter though, so a basic level of rejection might be easy to make.
Reply 2
Okay
Reply 3
As mentioned by threeportdrift, your application will typically be read however how much they'll be processed depends on the company. A lot of recruiters that read applications by hand often spend on average 6 seconds on a CV before making a decision, so make these seconds count.

Larger companies that used automated systems or ATS typically use keywords from the job description, such as specific skills or experiences required for the job to filter candidates, so ensure you use these keywords in your CV and online application form when applying.
Reply 4
Original post by jwt2002
As mentioned by threeportdrift, your application will typically be read however how much they'll be processed depends on the company. A lot of recruiters that read applications by hand often spend on average 6 seconds on a CV before making a decision, so make these seconds count.

Larger companies that used automated systems or ATS typically use keywords from the job description, such as specific skills or experiences required for the job to filter candidates, so ensure you use these keywords in your CV and online application form when applying.

Okay, if I get you right, does this mean, for instance, when I want to explain my skills and abilities... Should I subtitle it..

Skills and abilities includes:
This.....
That..

Or I should just separate with paragraph only while explaining each job description and person specification
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Zoefav
Okay, if I get you right, does this mean, for instance, when I want to explain my skills and abilities... Should I subtitle it..

Skills and abilities includes:
This.....
That..

Or I should just separate with paragraph only while explaining each job description and person specification

What document are you writing?

Your CV should be bullet points, beginning with a relevant verb, and giving the scope and scale of your evidence of relevant skills.

Your covering letter should contain three sections that answer three unspoken questions - why do you want to do this work? Why do you want to work for this organisation> And Why would you be good at the job? This last section should highlight your three most relevant skills.
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
What document are you writing?

Your CV should be bullet points, beginning with a relevant verb, and giving the scope and scale of your evidence of relevant skills.

Your covering letter should contain three sections that answer three unspoken questions - why do you want to do this work? Why do you want to work for this organisation> And Why would you be good at the job? This last section should highlight your three most relevant skills.

Okay.

Writing a supporting information for a job application
Original post by Zoefav
Okay.

Writing a supporting information for a job application

So that's a covering letter. you just need to cover why you want to do this sort of work, why you want to work for this organisation, and then highlight your 3 most relevant skills. One side of A4, about 300 words.
Reply 8
Okay.
Reply 9
Original post by Zoefav

Apart from writing a great and job specific CV/covering letter, the main advice is: get your application in as early as possible. Unfortunately, in some organisations, not all applications will be read (even, for those precious few seconds) if they feel they have enough applications to plough through. Sometimes they state this on the advert. It is not always possible to know exactly what a company wants, in spite of the advert - try to read between the lines if you can and, if they have a website/equivalent, see if it has profiles of some of the people who work there.
Reply 10
Thanks so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending