The Student Room Group

Contextual offers and predicted grades

Hi guys.
I take 3 subjects. Polish, Business, and English lang and lit.
I am eligible for contextual offers at the unis I have been looking at.
However, Business and English im sitting next year. This is because I started business at y13 and I'm finishing off.. due to personal circumstances, I have had major distrupment in my revision for the past 3 months, so I and my teachers decided it's a good idea if I sit it next year instead. After all, I have to stay an extra year anyways for business, and maybe I can take the opportunity to improve.

I am sitting Polish this year though.

My predicted grades aren't great. B, C and Distinction.
hopefully, I can get a C up to a B in English (I have an extra year now)
meaning BBB /ABB?

The main uni I want to go to has a standard offer of AAB. contextual offer BBB. My question is, if my predicted grades are lower, and I send an application, will it still be considered even with the C?

I can't change the C predicted grade. I want to send my application off as soon as applications open in September. So realistically when I send it off my predicted grades are gonna state A/B, B, C . Maybe the A will balance it out?

With contextual offers, when you receive them is it still a conditional contextual offer?
Original post by Kayamarie1
Hi guys.
However, Business and English im sitting next year. This is because I started business at y13 and I'm finishing off.. due to personal circumstances, I have had major distrupment in my revision for the past 3 months, so I and my teachers decided it's a good idea if I sit it next year instead. After all, I have to stay an extra year anyways for business, and maybe I can take the opportunity to improve.

meaning BBB /ABB?

The main uni I want to go to has a standard offer of AAB. contextual offer BBB. My question is, if my predicted grades are lower, and I send an application, will it still be considered even with the C?

I can't change the C predicted grade. I want to send my application off as soon as applications open in September. So realistically when I send it off my predicted grades are gonna state A/B, B, C . Maybe the A will balance it out?

With contextual offers, when you receive them is it still a conditional contextual offer?

If your predicted grades are slightly below their contextual offer, then that might make you an offer anyway, but they might not. It would depend on how competitive the course was and how many other people had applied with predicted grades at or above the standard / contextual offer (as applicable).

If you do receive a contextual offer, it will still be conditional on achieving particular grades in the exams you've yet to take at the point you apply.
Reply 2
Hi guys.

meaning BBB /ABB?

Why do you want to send your application off early? There's no advantage ...

Unis prefer all three A levels taken together ... your reference will need to explain why you aren't doing that. You also won't be a full-time student; aren't your school concerned about this?
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Why do you want to send your application off early? There's no advantage ...

Unis prefer all three A levels taken together ... your reference will need to explain why you aren't doing that. You also won't be a full-time student; aren't your school concerned about this?

I might as well send it off, whats the point of holding back to it? Most places latest apply by date is janurary. My predicted grade literally wont change then anyways.

About the subjects not being taken in the same year, I dropped psychology in yr12 to do business as i enjoy it way more. im a supervisor at my job and received much recognistion already. i have mentioned in my personal statement that it was my inspiration etc etc and ive also mentioned how im staying an extra year because of how much i like the subject that i was ready to stay an extra year. (im not trying to sound big headed but for personal statement you basically have to promote yourself haha) so i basically turned the starting late to make it seem positive.

I actually sit one business exam this year, and the other 2 next year. im not really "repeating" business i just started it late. I am taking an extra year for english though. So this year im taking full polish a level (3 papers) and 1 business exam. next year - 2 business exam to get full qualification + full english exam.

Most unis just require you to sit 2 alevels in the same year and one a level can be taken seperately. Atlest for the unis i have looked at.

The reason im choosing not to sit my English A level exam this year is because of the reason why i would be eligible for a contextual offer anyways at my top choice uni - major distrupment. I was in a tragic accident, hospitalised, so i missed school and important revision time, and also lost 2 people , so dealing with the grief also goes towards it. on top of that, my area is low progression into uni, my school is low progression into uni, and im first to go to uni in my family. There was also a point that if you made below a certain amount of income in your househould you can apply - but i havent got round to double checking that one. These are all in the eligiblity criteria of my top choice uni. So i think its pretty fair that im not sitting them all together after all of that. Even if i wanted to sit english this year, i would still have to stay next year to finish business. I mgiht as well take the opportunity to improve.

I will actually be full time student so im not sure who and where you got that idea from? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
If your predicted grades are slightly below their contextual offer, then that might make you an offer anyway, but they might not. It would depend on how competitive the course was and how many other people had applied with predicted grades at or above the standard / contextual offer (as applicable).

If you do receive a contextual offer, it will still be conditional on achieving particular grades in the exams you've yet to take at the point you apply.

Thats what im thinking. The highest predicted grade i have is for the subject im taking. and in my opinion im sure it will somehow balance out??? I feel like i will still get a contextual offer which is conditional to me receivng the grades. People at my school have applied to courses which they have lower predicted grades yet received a conditional offer, as long as they get the grades they get in. Even though its out of reach for their predicted grades. who knows
Thats what im thinking. The highest predicted grade i have is for the subject im taking. and in my opinion im sure it will somehow balance out??? I feel like i will still get a contextual offer which is conditional to me receivng the grades. People at my school have applied to courses which they have lower predicted grades yet received a conditional offer, as long as they get the grades they get in. Even though its out of reach for their predicted grades. who knows

Who knows indeed. :smile:
Reply 6
I might as well send it off, whats the point of holding back to it? Most places latest apply by date is janurary. My predicted grade literally wont change then anyways.

About the subjects not being taken in the same year, I dropped psychology in yr12 to do business as i enjoy it way more. im a supervisor at my job and received much recognistion already. i have mentioned in my personal statement that it was my inspiration etc etc and ive also mentioned how im staying an extra year because of how much i like the subject that i was ready to stay an extra year. (im not trying to sound big headed but for personal statement you basically have to promote yourself haha) so i basically turned the starting late to make it seem positive.

I actually sit one business exam this year, and the other 2 next year. im not really "repeating" business i just started it late. I am taking an extra year for english though. So this year im taking full polish a level (3 papers) and 1 business exam. next year - 2 business exam to get full qualification + full english exam.

Most unis just require you to sit 2 alevels in the same year and one a level can be taken seperately. Atlest for the unis i have looked at.

The reason im choosing not to sit my English A level exam this year is because of the reason why i would be eligible for a contextual offer anyways at my top choice uni - major distrupment. I was in a tragic accident, hospitalised, so i missed school and important revision time, and also lost 2 people , so dealing with the grief also goes towards it. on top of that, my area is low progression into uni, my school is low progression into uni, and im first to go to uni in my family. There was also a point that if you made below a certain amount of income in your househould you can apply - but i havent got round to double checking that one. These are all in the eligiblity criteria of my top choice uni. So i think its pretty fair that im not sitting them all together after all of that. Even if i wanted to sit english this year, i would still have to stay next year to finish business. I mgiht as well take the opportunity to improve.

I will actually be full time student so im not sure who and where you got that idea from? :smile:

Taking 2 A levels is NOT being full-time - the definition of 'full-time' is someone studying three A levels.

Most of what you say is in your PS should not be there it should be in your reference! I urge you to discuss this with school ...

Most unis want 3 A levels taken together - which say they are happy with 2?
Reply 7
Taking 2 A-levels is still full time education. When you first sign up to sixth form at the end of y11 you choose weather you want to do 2,3 or even 4 A-levels.

Why should it not be in my personal statement? If I say I have been inspired by work experience which has made me value the subject , how is that wrong :biggrin: the whole point of the personal statement is to explain why you fit for the course and why you want to be there etc???????????

If you didn't know there are actually quite a few unis that accept 2 alevels on its own. But yes plenty of unis usually have additional requirments which state that 2 a level HAVE to be taken in the same year and you can have one which is in a diff year. I have not came accross a single uni page where they state they have to be all taken together :biggrin: unless its probs like the best uni in the world hahaha.
Most unis really dont care about that stuff. Let me tell you, my friend has no maths gcse no english gcse, CCC at College and goes to Manchester University, and studies law. and she also sat 1 subject in a seperate year.

And back to your point of "You will have to explain in your reference why your not doing that" well duh thats the whole point of the contextual offer to start of with, you have to exaplain why you think you deserve it.

I dont know why Polish would be that important if i did it in a seperate year, the main and relevant ones would be english and business if i want to go into business.

And, just to reinforce, the whole point of a contextual offer is to support disadvantages pupils. Im sure they can understand why I taken 1 subject in a different year after all that happend :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: And if i chose to sit Polish next year instead of this year it wouldnt neccessarily look any better, it would probs just look like i had an extra year of study and fell behind with everything.
I could really benefit an extra year of english study though - why not take it? I would have to stay to finish business off regardless :biggrin: Might as well take the opportunity and who knows i might improve to an A at the end of it.
Reply 8
Oh and to add to my previous comment, when my friend got CCC, she only went to uni after 2 years. Dont see how that could be any better than what im doing :smile:

Original post by Muttley79
Taking 2 A levels is NOT being full-time - the definition of 'full-time' is someone studying three A levels.

Most of what you say is in your PS should not be there it should be in your reference! I urge you to discuss this with school ...

Most unis want 3 A levels taken together - which say they are happy with 2?
Reply 9
Taking 2 A-levels is still full time education. When you first sign up to sixth form at the end of y11 you choose weather you want to do 2,3 or even 4 A-levels.

Why should it not be in my personal statement? If I say I have been inspired by work experience which has made me value the subject , how is that wrong :biggrin: the whole point of the personal statement is to explain why you fit for the course and why you want to be there etc???????????

If you didn't know there are actually quite a few unis that accept 2 alevels on its own. But yes plenty of unis usually have additional requirments which state that 2 a level HAVE to be taken in the same year and you can have one which is in a diff year. I have not came accross a single uni page where they state they have to be all taken together :biggrin: unless its probs like the best uni in the world hahaha.
Most unis really dont care about that stuff. Let me tell you, my friend has no maths gcse no english gcse, CCC at College and goes to Manchester University, and studies law. and she also sat 1 subject in a seperate year.

And back to your point of "You will have to explain in your reference why your not doing that" well duh thats the whole point of the contextual offer to start of with, you have to exaplain why you think you deserve it.

I dont know why Polish would be that important if i did it in a seperate year, the main and relevant ones would be english and business if i want to go into business.

And, just to reinforce, the whole point of a contextual offer is to support disadvantages pupils. Im sure they can understand why I taken 1 subject in a different year after all that happend :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: And if i chose to sit Polish next year instead of this year it wouldnt neccessarily look any better, it would probs just look like i had an extra year of study and fell behind with everything.
I could really benefit an extra year of english study though - why not take it? I would have to stay to finish business off regardless :biggrin: Might as well take the opportunity and who knows i might improve to an A at the end of it.

You seem very misinformed - I am a teacher involved heavily with UCAS.

Sixth forms are funded for three A levels for two years - yes you can do four but not two [unless you are doing an A level equivalent] - has your school agreed you can take a third Year?

A PS is about you showing your passion and suitability - you should not include half of what you mention as that is far more appropriate for your referee to mention.

I don't understand why your prediction won't change before January - there's a lot of time for you to show improvement including additional work over the summer. I'm shocked your school can be so rigid - what sort of school is it?
Reply 10
Many of my friends at sixth form have only taken 2 A-levels. At one point of my sixth form experience I was classed as only doing 2 alevels until i have taken an extra subject at the start of this year. I was still classed at full time student and had to attend.
And exactly, i dont understand how saying that my work experience, and my passion and determination to stay an extra year to finish the course off doesnt show suitability. I obviously mentioned other things interwined with business. If you are on about my circumstances for the contextual offer, i never said thats in my personal statment, if you want to read it again. And obviously not going to mention my schools name but it is a catholic school. :biggrin:
Reply 11
Many of my friends at sixth form have only taken 2 A-levels. At one point of my sixth form experience I was classed as only doing 2 alevels until i have taken an extra subject at the start of this year. I was still classed at full time student and had to attend.
And exactly, i dont understand how saying that my work experience, and my passion and determination to stay an extra year to finish the course off doesnt show suitability. I obviously mentioned other things interwined with business. If you are on about my circumstances for the contextual offer, i never said thats in my personal statment, if you want to read it again. And obviously not going to mention my schools name but it is a catholic school. :biggrin:

A state school? Funding does not allow students to take only 2 A levels
Reply 12
yes a public school
yes a public school

Ahh, that explains it. A State school would not be allowed to do this and would not get the funding and two A levels would be considered only part time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending