The Student Room Group

Scared about my future and money

I’m thinking about dropping out of uni- my degree is useless (animation) and I realised I really don’t want to do it as a career anyway. I only really went to uni to get away from home and have fun- which I definitely had but don’t want to waste two more years doing and more money- I hate the coursework so put in bare minimum effort. I believe I have ADHD (though I’m not diagnosed but family and friends think I have it after multiple symptoms clear to them- not even me noticing) eg I cannot focus at all on anything, I have constant overwhelming thoughts and I have a very slow processing speed. I already know I have dyslexia and have been diagnosed for that so the possibility for adhd is high I guess? Anyway! I am really worried about my future as I can’t decide what I want to do. I think it would be best to leave uni take a year out and maybe reapply for a different course somewhere else and get my mental health back on track and just work for a year. I could transfer to sculpture degree at my current uni but don’t think I really want to do that either (not keen on the whole art school tbh, love the city I’m in which is such a shame).

The main point of my post is that I’m really worried about getting a career if I don’t finish a degree at some point, i know there’s other routes but I can’t stand being at home with my parents for too long, I love them and appreciate them allowing me to live at home for free (yes free- amazing) but it feels like such a step back from living independently at uni for a year. I worry they’ll be disappointed in me if I don’t sort my self out and decide what I want to do with my life. I have -£40 in my bank account and still looking for jobs atm. Anyone else been in the same position on tsr?

Any advice please!!
Reply 1
You seem to be in a lot of personal distress. You should get yourself checked out for ADHD to make it official. If there a health and welfare office at your uni? Someone you can chat to about your concerns? How about giving the Samaritans a call to discuss things?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m thinking about dropping out of uni- my degree is useless (animation) and I realised I really don’t want to do it as a career anyway. I only really went to uni to get away from home and have fun- which I definitely had but don’t want to waste two more years doing and more money- I hate the coursework so put in bare minimum effort. I believe I have ADHD (though I’m not diagnosed but family and friends think I have it after multiple symptoms clear to them- not even me noticing) eg I cannot focus at all on anything, I have constant overwhelming thoughts and I have a very slow processing speed. I already know I have dyslexia and have been diagnosed for that so the possibility for adhd is high I guess? Anyway! I am really worried about my future as I can’t decide what I want to do. I think it would be best to leave uni take a year out and maybe reapply for a different course somewhere else and get my mental health back on track and just work for a year. I could transfer to sculpture degree at my current uni but don’t think I really want to do that either (not keen on the whole art school tbh, love the city I’m in which is such a shame).

The main point of my post is that I’m really worried about getting a career if I don’t finish a degree at some point, i know there’s other routes but I can’t stand being at home with my parents for too long, I love them and appreciate them allowing me to live at home for free (yes free- amazing) but it feels like such a step back from living independently at uni for a year. I worry they’ll be disappointed in me if I don’t sort my self out and decide what I want to do with my life. I have -£40 in my bank account and still looking for jobs atm. Anyone else been in the same position on tsr?

Any advice please!!

Hi there :smile:

I'm really sorry to hear you're going through this worry. It sounds like you're balancing a lot. It's really normal and common for students to feel apprehensive about their future and uncertain about where their degree might take them. Is there anyone at uni you could speak to about this? Maybe an academic adviser, careers adviser, or somebody from wellbeing services?

You might be able to find information about support at your uni through Student Space, if that's useful: https://studentspace.org.uk/find-support. There's also content on there around planning your future too.

Ultimately, you have to decide what is best for you, and there's lots of support out there to help you to do that. I hope things begin to feel less overwhelming soon.
- Dan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending