The Student Room Group

ucas character count

guys, it is okay if my final draft is 3996 characters and 47 lines? i genuinely cannot cut it down anymore and im scared.

Scroll to see replies

Personal statement? I thought the maximum is 4000 characters?
Reply 2
Original post by iL1L
Personal statement? I thought the maximum is 4000 characters?

it is but people always say it should be over 3600 ideally.
Reply 3
Original post by hahaaddie
guys, it is okay if my final draft is 3996 characters and 47 lines? i genuinely cannot cut it down anymore and im scared.

Does it fit?
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Does it fit?

I mean UCAS allows it as it’s just under
Reply 5
Yeah that's fine! You don't want to cut it down so much that you're missing important information.
Reply 6
I mean UCAS allows it as it’s just under

Have you tried it though ... sometimes it doesn't fit even though it should.

That’s deliberately making it more difficult for admissions staff to pick out the key information from your PS and risking that they’ll miss something you consider vital.

It’s allowed but not a good idea if you’re applying to any competitive courses/universities.
Reply 8
Cut and paste it into the PS field on UCAS - and Save.
It'll tell you if its too long.

As above - always go for clarity, rather than trying to stuff extra stuff in.
Reply 9

its fineeeeeeeeeeeeee if UCAS accepts it theres nothing wrong! dont stress urself about the character limit when u already meet it! yr 13 is hard enough!! ❤❤ mine was 3978!! and ive already submitted it!!!!!!!!!
Reply 10
Original post by eenie_49
its fineeeeeeeeeeeeee if UCAS accepts it theres nothing wrong! dont stress urself about the character limit when u already meet it! yr 13 is hard enough!! ❤❤ mine was 3978!! and ive already submitted it!!!!!!!!!

Thank youuuu I’ve just sent mine off and I actually did manage to get it to around the same length as yours. Now it’s time to wait and see. Good luck!
Reply 11
Thank youuuu I’ve just sent mine off and I actually did manage to get it to around the same length as yours. Now it’s time to wait and see. Good luck!

YAY !! Good Luck!!!!! <3
2 admissions staff who read PSs daily recommend that you reduce the content substantially but you prefer to take the advice of a fellow applicant who doesn’t even have any offers yet :rolleyes:

You had months to edit it down before the deadline.
Reply 13
Original post by PQ
2 admissions staff who read PSs daily recommend that you reduce the content substantially but you prefer to take the advice of a fellow applicant who doesn’t even have any offers yet :rolleyes:

You had months to edit it down before the deadline.

thanks for the advise but i have friends in the year above who had PS longer than mine and have gone to UCL and 2 to KCL and one to Oxford, secondly, i go to a highly selective school and they havent said anything to me!

(also just to be clear i sent my application off to the school not to the unis yet!!)

but if you want to listen to PQ im not stopping u :wink: ig better safe than sorry
(edited 6 months ago)
thanks for the advise but i have friends in the year above who had PS longer than mine and have gone to UCL and 2 to KCL and one to Oxford, secondly, i go to a highly selective school and they havent said anything to me!

(also just to be clear i sent my application off to the school not to the unis yet!!)

I was talking to the OP.

Your school hasn’t even checked and sent your application yet and you’re confidently encouraging another applicant to submit a PS which hasn’t been properly edited.

Just because 3 of your friends were lucky doesn’t mean that you or the OP will be.
Reply 15
Original post by PQ
I was talking to the OP.

Your school hasn’t even checked and sent your application yet and you’re confidently encouraging another applicant to submit a PS which hasn’t been properly edited.

Just because 3 of your friends were lucky doesn’t mean that you or the OP will be.

okay i dont want to argue but like unis dont accept u on "luck" and anyway its entirely their choice best of luck to them!
Reply 16
okay i dont want to argue but like unis dont accept u on "luck" and anyway its entirely their choice best of luck to them!

Do you realise that you are talking to an adult who has worked in University Admissions for *years*?
Reply 17
not engaging in this anymore <3

Yes, it's okay if your final draft is 3996 characters and 47 lines, especially if you have made substantial efforts to condense your content. Admissions officers understand that applicants might struggle with character limits. Focus on the quality of your personal statement rather than the exact character count. Make sure your statement is clear, concise, and effectively communicates your motivations and experiences. Quality matters more than the specific length as long as you've adhered to the guidelines as closely as possible.

Fatima
LSBU Rep
Original post by LSBU Student Rep
Yes, it's okay if your final draft is 3996 characters and 47 lines, especially if you have made substantial efforts to condense your content. Admissions officers understand that applicants might struggle with character limits. Focus on the quality of your personal statement rather than the exact character count. Make sure your statement is clear, concise, and effectively communicates your motivations and experiences. Quality matters more than the specific length as long as you've adhered to the guidelines as closely as possible.

Fatima
LSBU Rep

Has LSBU ever rejected an applicant on the basis of their personal statement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending