The Student Room Group

Biomedical science

I am an American senior and i've been debating on whether i should stay here in the U.S. or if i should go to the UK. I want to know what the workload is like: I want to know what type of assignments y'all are given, how long they typically take, how often they give out a certain assignment, how often y'all have to write papers, how long classes are, how often you have classes, what the labs are like, and how lab reports are like?....i want to know what to expect of my classes basically.
Original post by ZimaGutierrez
I am an American senior and i've been debating on whether i should stay here in the U.S. or if i should go to the UK. I want to know what the workload is like: I want to know what type of assignments y'all are given, how long they typically take, how often they give out a certain assignment, how often y'all have to write papers, how long classes are, how often you have classes, what the labs are like, and how lab reports are like?....i want to know what to expect of my classes basically.

Hi!
I am a UK student currently studying abroad in the US and so I have experienced both college education systems.
There are many ways in which university in the UK differs for example; instead of receiving a grad based on a combination of factors such as attendance, quizzes, papers and exams your grade is based solely off final essays or exams. Typically you have 2 of these assessments per semester, one around the halfway point and one at the end. Class times vary depending on your degree; typically they are between 1-2 hours long.

Hope this helps! Faye :smile:
Original post by ZimaGutierrez

Original post by normaw
@sleep_supremacy can you offer any advice on this? :smile:

Thanks for the tag @normaw :smile:This largely depends on which unis you plan to apply to. Most of them will have information regarding teaching times displayed on the course details on their website (if you can't see it there, mail them and ask). Lectures are generally an hour long, lab time depends on which experiments you're performing. Scientific writing is certainly an acquired skill, and how often you use it again depends on the module selection your uni offers, but they will (and should) hold introductory sessions explaining how to practice this before assigning you anything. You will generally use this for writing essays and lab reports.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending