The Student Room Group

Questions about height

I am a teen(14 years old) and I am currently 5 feet 7.5 inches- I think that’s 172cm. I know I shouldn’t think much about it but it feels like it’s been an eternity since my body last grew as I had drew a line on my wall and I’ve never grown over it , it’s been like 9 months since I drew it. A lot of my peers at school are starting to grow taller aswell. My dad is around 6 foot 3 inches and my mum 5 feet 4-5 inches. How will growth work and is it likely I have stopped working. Also what can I do to grow to my potential. This may sound desperate but I just want to know about my growth. Thanks(REALLY IMPORTANT- I am obese for my age (83kg) and I want to make a change by eating less calories to be in a deficit. I previously did this last year to go from 96kg to 83kg and I have a feeling that may have stunted my growth but I want to now lose weight in a more stable way as I’m still obese. Will this stunt my growth
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by js234
I am a teen(14 years old) and I am currently 5 feet 7.5 inches- I think that’s 172cm. I know I shouldn’t think much about it but it feels like it’s been an eternity since my body last grew as I had drew a line on my wall and I’ve never grown over it , it’s been like 9 months since I drew it. A lot of my peers at school are starting to grow taller aswell. My dad is around 6 foot 3 inches and my mum 5 feet 4-5 inches. How will growth work and is it likely I have stopped working. Also what can I do to grow to my potential. This may sound desperate but I just want to know about my growth. Thanks(REALLY IMPORTANT- I am obese for my age (83kg) and I want to make a change by eating less calories to be in a deficit. I previously did this last year to go from 96kg to 83kg and I have a feeling that may have stunted my growth but I want to now lose weight in a more stable way as I’m still obese. Will this stunt my growth

There is a high chance that you will have a growth spurt, seeing as you are only 14 and males generally stop growing in height at around 20 years old. Having a calorie deficit shouldn't affect your growth, unless you aren't getting in the right nutrients. Have you tried going to the gym or exercising with any weights, because naturally as you carry on going through puberty you will lose a lot of your fat from younger years and start to slim out? If you combine exercise with a small calorie deficit but you are still getting in the required nutrients then this should not affect your growth. Do you know what your calorie deficit roughly was per day the year before?
Reply 2
Original post by _JackieChan_
There is a high chance that you will have a growth spurt, seeing as you are only 14 and males generally stop growing in height at around 20 years old. Having a calorie deficit shouldn't affect your growth, unless you aren't getting in the right nutrients. Have you tried going to the gym or exercising with any weights, because naturally as you carry on going through puberty you will lose a lot of your fat from younger years and start to slim out? If you combine exercise with a small calorie deficit but you are still getting in the required nutrients then this should not affect your growth. Do you know what your calorie deficit roughly was per day the year before?

Well I lost weight very rapidly so I would say a deficit of 300-500 calories which is very bad but I was desperate and just wanted to see a change, to add on I am currently just doing cardio at home like a heavy boxing bag or a treadmill but I am trying to either get a gym membership or get an at home set of weights
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest