The Student Room Group

Professor emailed me about not turning up to my presentation

I've been struggling with my anxiety more than ever during this academic year at university. I've barely been attending any classes (1 or 2 out of 10 on a good week). Every time I do, my physical symptoms (twitching, head jerking etc) are so distressing to me that I basically have to hibernate for a week after this to recover.

I have many presentations and speeches that I have to do across all of my modules, some graded/counting towards my final degree classification and some not. I've already missed 2/4 of the graded speeches (collectively worth 20% of the module grade) and 1 non-graded one. I've basically just accepted that I'm going to have to cut my losses and miss out on the 20% and just try my hardest with everything else. Although I feel extremely guilty every time I don't turn up to a presentation, never did I expect that I would get an email from the professor for the non-graded one. But I did.

For some reason, he cc'd the professor from a completely different class that I missed today. That class doesn't have any presentations, I guess they were just talking about me? For a university with 38,000 students I find this a bit strange, but anyway. The email was very short, he just stated that he's disappointed I didn't turn up and didn't tell him in advance that I'm not coming. No questions, just that one sentence. How do I respond to this? Should I?
(edited 5 months ago)
The other lecturer may have been the course leader or someone who manages student engagement issues. Academics have to wear a lot of hats these days.

In terms of the issues you should not just not attend and "accept" you will get a lower grade though. Non engagement with the course can be grounds to be removed from the course and university, and you should be liaising with your personal tutor if you are having any issues. If you do have a health issue as in this case you should also get confirmation from your GP, apply for disabled students allowance from SFE, and have a needs assessment at your uni. They can then put in place reasonable adjustments to support you and also crucially know you do have this condition and so it is not just a case if you not engaging with the course.

If you don't want to risk being kicked out if uni you really do need to go through the formal processes here as above to ensure all the people who need to be aware are and that you are getting the support you need and not just "grinding it out".
Original post by Yasuda
I've been struggling with my anxiety more than ever during this academic year at university. I've barely been attending any classes (1 or 2 out of 10 on a good week). Every time I do, my physical symptoms (twitching, head jerking etc) are so distressing to me that I basically have to hibernate for a week after this to recover.

I have many presentations and speeches that I have to do across all of my modules, some graded/counting towards my final degree classification and some not. I've already missed 2/4 of the graded speeches (collectively worth 20% of the module grade) and 1 non-graded one. I've basically just accepted that I'm going to have to cut my losses and miss out on the 20% and just try my hardest with everything else. Although I feel extremely guilty every time I don't turn up to a presentation, never did I expect that I would get an email from the professor for the non-graded one. But I did.

For some reason, he cc'd the professor from a completely different class that I missed today. That class doesn't have any presentations, I guess they were just talking about me? For a university with 38,000 students I find this a bit strange, but anyway. The email was very short, he just stated that he's disappointed I didn't turn up and didn't tell him in advance that I'm not coming. No questions, just that one sentence. How do I respond to this? Should I?

Never mind the email - what are you hoping to achieve by this current pattern of behaviour? You need to engage with university in order to get the degree. If your health won't let you do that, stop racking up debt and step out of University and sort your health out.

Just not engaging is just a way to rack up even more anxiety and debt. Get out properly, get fit, come back.
Original post by Yasuda

Hi @Yasuda,

Sorry to hear this.

Firstly about the email as previously stated by someone else professors can have multiple jobs that they conduct for the university or the course. For example they may be one of the team members who look into student support or could be the overall course leader which could explain why they were added into the email. Professors may also discuss with one another about students who they have noticed who aren't attending classes which can usually be to see if the other professors has noticed this or whether it is a module specific issue.

I think on responding to the email it is up to you on what you feel most comfortable to do. This could be answering and explaining your situation in whatever detail is appropriate so that they can then support you in the best way possible. Or you could just ignore it instead however this may impact on the way they get in contact with you in the future.

Some tips on the anxiety would be:

Have you got in contact with your personal tutor or the student support team at your university. They may be able to guide you to the best place of getting support for this. Or helping you speak to your professors on how they can best support you at this time. - As previously stated by others if you fail to attend frequently this can lead to you being kicked of the course. So I would maybe start looking into this to prevent this from happening if you do still wish to get a degree. If you don't that is also fine as you physical and mental health are much more important!

Have you got in contact with your module leaders for the modules that require presentations - if not maybe look into this as there is the opportunity at my university and my course for you to only present in front of around two or three people I think so it can then be marked. This could be a good way of you still being able to complete the assignment however hopefully not getting as anxious.

Could you try and figure out what is causing your anxiety? - Is it the presentations? Overall attending class? Are there other causes that are lumping together and just causing general anxiety? - this could be a useful way to figure out what is causing this and seeing what you can do to then combat these feelings.

Are you making sure to see friends? - speaking to them on how you feel and if they can give any advice could be useful Exercising? Sleeping well? Eating well? Overall looking after yourself? - sometimes these things can turn into less of a priority when you feel this way however this can then further impact on how you feel.

Could you talk with any course mates and explain your situation to them if you feel comfortable and maybe see if you can sit near the back with them to not draw attention if you are showing any physical symptoms of your anxiety and also maybe just give you that support that's needed.

Hopefully some of these tips have been useful and I hope you feel better soon!

I would definitely try and reach out to a support team at university and see what help they can provide!

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending