The Student Room Group

Failed the resit

So I missed a module due to mental health, and I had to do it as a reassessment. I failed the reassessment because I had no idea what I was doing (yk with not attending that module). Will I get kicked off the course, or will I have to retake the year? Or something else?
This was first year at DMU, I passed every other module with a 2:2 average.
I'm really anxious about this haha
Reply 1
dude i had the exact same situation luckily i barely scraped a pass on my resit but cuz i was so anxious i already done the research u should get an email from ur uni identifying the next steps depending on the uni u might be able to go onto the next yr with 1 failed module if it was an optional one or they will ask u to retake it in the on top of next yrs modules but bare in mind you'll probs have to pay for that speak to ur course leader ring ur unis help desk send a couple emails out about it but u should be alright.
Reply 2
Hey. I’m sorry that you’re having a hard time with your mental health. That’s no fun, especially when you are trying to complete a degree.
Firstly, I hope you have managed to get some support for your mh struggles. You will be able to manage the course much better if this is being addressed and your well-being is important. So if you haven’t already, please go and get some professional support. Secondly, I would strongly recommend that you reach out to your personal tutor and let them know what caused you to struggle with this module. Their job is to support you throughout your degree. They can’t do that if they are not aware of things that may impact your attendance or study.

Considering that all unis are different it would be advisable to let your personal tutor advise you about what will happen now. In my university you can appeal the transcript and send in evidence for them to consider as to why you didn’t claim an EC at the time. If you have been mentally unwell, you possibly would not be in the right mindset to have the forethought or energy to put in an EC at the time, even though you needed one.

A lot of courses will let you progress onto the next year with one failed module. And you will redo that module alongside, but you have to pay to redo the module.

The only way to know is to speak to your university. It may also be worth speaking to unis disability services, who can make sure you get any reasonable adjustments you need and help you applying for disabled students allowance if you are eligible.
Reply 3
Original post by bk41n
dude i had the exact same situation luckily i barely scraped a pass on my resit but cuz i was so anxious i already done the research u should get an email from ur uni identifying the next steps depending on the uni u might be able to go onto the next yr with 1 failed module if it was an optional one or they will ask u to retake it in the on top of next yrs modules but bare in mind you'll probs have to pay for that speak to ur course leader ring ur unis help desk send a couple emails out about it but u should be alright.

I just calculated, I technically just scraped a 40% actually. I passed one assessment and failed the other, so idk if that changes things or if I still have to redo it lmfao
It was a mandatory one, I'm the first year doing the block teaching
Reply 4
Original post by missismouse
Hey. I’m sorry that you’re having a hard time with your mental health. That’s no fun, especially when you are trying to complete a degree.
Firstly, I hope you have managed to get some support for your mh struggles. You will be able to manage the course much better if this is being addressed and your well-being is important. So if you haven’t already, please go and get some professional support. Secondly, I would strongly recommend that you reach out to your personal tutor and let them know what caused you to struggle with this module. Their job is to support you throughout your degree. They can’t do that if they are not aware of things that may impact your attendance or study.

Considering that all unis are different it would be advisable to let your personal tutor advise you about what will happen now. In my university you can appeal the transcript and send in evidence for them to consider as to why you didn’t claim an EC at the time. If you have been mentally unwell, you possibly would not be in the right mindset to have the forethought or energy to put in an EC at the time, even though you needed one.

A lot of courses will let you progress onto the next year with one failed module. And you will redo that module alongside, but you have to pay to redo the module.

The only way to know is to speak to your university. It may also be worth speaking to unis disability services, who can make sure you get any reasonable adjustments you need and help you applying for disabled students allowance if you are eligible.

Thank you! My uni lecturers and personal tutor are aware, I also have dsa in place, a mental health mentor, and regular meetings with my personal tutor with reasonable adjustments for classes :smile: I've already emailed the lecturer who marked my assessment explaining my situation and giving some clarity and asking about what comes next!
Reply 5
Original post by JamieGreyy
I just calculated, I technically just scraped a 40% actually. I passed one assessment and failed the other, so idk if that changes things or if I still have to redo it lmfao
It was a mandatory one, I'm the first year doing the block teaching

If you still got a 40 overall, you'd usually be ok failing one part of the assessment.
Original post by JamieGreyy
So I missed a module due to mental health, and I had to do it as a reassessment. I failed the reassessment because I had no idea what I was doing (yk with not attending that module). Will I get kicked off the course, or will I have to retake the year? Or something else?
This was first year at DMU, I passed every other module with a 2:2 average.
I'm really anxious about this haha

Hi there @JamieGreyy - sorry we are a bit late in our response. I hope you're feeling okay, though, I am sorry to hear what you are going through:frown:

Please do know that we have Student Support available via our Student Gateway and these teams can give you a space to discuss how you are feeling and see what can be done to make things more manageable. This includes Academic Support although the best team, as other thread users have (rightly!) said - thank you-, is your Faculty (for things like re-sits and Academic help).:smartass:

Your Student Advice Centre might be worth a ring :call:, or an email if you'd prefer :cyber:, and the team can assist you from there.

I remember struggling a lot various times throughout my studies - you're not alone. It's a big change and the hardest thing to do is ask for help. I hope this is useful and I hope things feel a bit brighter soon:redface:

- Rose:rose:, De Montfort University Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending