The Student Room Group

Combined Science

What is the best way to revise for science? People say to do past papers,but what if you haven't covered all the content?
(edited 3 months ago)
first cover the content- you can do this by watching videos on your specification. eg freesciencelessons, cognito, sciencewithazel. i watched their videos (mainly science with hazel all-in-one vid) and answered questions on it online. i would put the information into flashcards along with using the specification to get it answer specific. after revising online flashcards (anki) i would attempt past paper questions. often i would get it wrong because i was unfamiliar with that type of question and so i would put in the wrong answer in my flashcards. the online flashcards use spaced repetition so every time i reviewed them, the past paper question would come up and eventually i would memorise it so that the next time i got a similar question (they repeat questions a lot) i could answer it. after a week i’d try the same past paper and my grade would increase massively :smile:
the spec is ur best friend for gcse science and flashcards are the best for memorising content, you can’t do past papers without knowing the answers. past papers are the last thing you should do to consolidate your knowledge. hope it goes well!! :wink:
Reply 2
Thank you, I will definitely do that.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Fatima Haq
What is the best way to revise for science? People say to do past papers,but what if you haven't covered all the content?

Definitely refer to your specification and make sure to make notes/cover all the content mentioned in it. A lot of the time, people do past papers to check their knowledge before studying the content - however past papers are a limited resource, so I recommend using past papers to check how well you've covered the content and it can also tell you if your notes on a topic are enough to get you a high grade - if you do good in the past paper, then you would know that your notes are good quality and as long as you study your notes well you can do well in the exam.

Also don't forget to study practicals and equations as those can often come up as high-mark questions - so if you know them well, you can maximise your grades.

If you do practice questions and get any wrong, be sure to add the points you missed out onto your notes and highlight them so every time you look at your notes you can see which points you need to prioritise learning.

Hopefully that helps, let me know if anything I mentioned doesn't make much sense!
Reply 4
No that's perfect, thank you, will definetly do that!
Reply 5
Original post by unknown20001
first cover the content- you can do this by watching videos on your specification. eg freesciencelessons, cognito, sciencewithazel. i watched their videos (mainly science with hazel all-in-one vid) and answered questions on it online. i would put the information into flashcards along with using the specification to get it answer specific. after revising online flashcards (anki) i would attempt past paper questions. often i would get it wrong because i was unfamiliar with that type of question and so i would put in the wrong answer in my flashcards. the online flashcards use spaced repetition so every time i reviewed them, the past paper question would come up and eventually i would memorise it so that the next time i got a similar question (they repeat questions a lot) i could answer it. after a week i’d try the same past paper and my grade would increase massively :smile:
the spec is ur best friend for gcse science and flashcards are the best for memorising content, you can’t do past papers without knowing the answers. past papers are the last thing you should do to consolidate your knowledge. hope it goes well!! :wink:

Hi i was just wondering if you have any digital anki flashcards for combined science as i have been making my own and it is taking too much time with only 4 months left would be appreciated
Original post by s_19969
Hi i was just wondering if you have any digital anki flashcards for combined science as i have been making my own and it is taking too much time with only 4 months left would be appreciated

Sorryyy i do international gcse 😬
But!! what i can say is making flashcards from now is definitely possible, i made it for triple science around january. They seem time consuming (i thought i couldn’t do it as well), but dedicate maybe 3 days to just writing the flashcards only and you will finish all of it!!! i believe in youuu
Reply 7
Original post by unknown20001
Sorryyy i do international gcse 😬
But!! what i can say is making flashcards from now is definitely possible, i made it for triple science around january. They seem time consuming (i thought i couldn’t do it as well), but dedicate maybe 3 days to just writing the flashcards only and you will finish all of it!!! i believe in youuu

Thank youu

Quick Reply

Latest