The Student Room Group

national 5 maths help

what sort of questions are most likely to be asked in prelims and exams? i struggle with maths and remembering stuff so im thinking if i prioritise questions that i know for a fact will be in the exam id give myself a better shot.
also does anyone have suggestions on how to study more effectively for maths? i've been doing a lot of practice questions and im going to start working on past papers, but other than that is there anything else i can be doing?
Original post by awfulrad
what sort of questions are most likely to be asked in prelims and exams? i struggle with maths and remembering stuff so im thinking if i prioritise questions that i know for a fact will be in the exam id give myself a better shot.
also does anyone have suggestions on how to study more effectively for maths? i've been doing a lot of practice questions and im going to start working on past papers, but other than that is there anything else i can be doing?

hi ! i did nat5 maths last year and went from failing (26%-48% in prelims) to a B in the final exam. best ways to revise maths would imo be:

closer to the exam, literally do every past paper question from free nat5 maths website and use dlb maths when you don’t understand something

study the parts of the course before you go over it in class then doing a few questions after school

for formulas that you don’t remember (eg straight line) you can make flashcards and test yourself

revise regularly

hope this helped ! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by duplicate-cat
hi ! i did nat5 maths last year and went from failing (26%-48% in prelims) to a B in the final exam. best ways to revise maths would imo be:

closer to the exam, literally do every past paper question from free nat5 maths website and use dlb maths when you don’t understand something

study the parts of the course before you go over it in class then doing a few questions after school

for formulas that you don’t remember (eg straight line) you can make flashcards and test yourself

revise regularly

hope this helped ! :smile:

hi thanks so much!! ill definitely make a note of this and try it for the second math prelim coming up. i managed to get 32% on the first one which is a pretty good mark considering im ****, but hopefully i can get higher than that later!!
Original post by awfulrad

Questions, questions, questions. This is coming from someone who has went from Nat5 to Adv Higher and any good maths teacher (from asking quite a few) will tell you the exact same thing.
There is no silver bullet in maths to make you understand the entire course in one night but questions are the silver machine gun that will brute force your grade higher.
Doing a mix of questions on one topic and timed past papers is what I do for maths.
If you don't understand a question then DLB Maths on Youtube will have a video explaining where you've went wrong or you can ask your teacher who can also explain where you've went wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending