The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by F.A.
That does not make sense, there was no peace between Palestine and Israel before Hamas was even created.

There won't ever be with Hamas.
Reply 21
Original post by hotpud
And there be the problem. Israel takes the land. Israel imposes their will on Gaza. Israel builds a wall trapping Palestinians in. Israel prevents people from coming and going. Israel attempts to limit what goes into and out of Gazza, yet the concessions must come from Palestine.

I think that is called having your cake and eating it. Hamas has nothing to lose. Palestinians have a crappy life and again, not much to lose. If you have nothing to loose, why would you negotiate with your powerful neighbour who has everything but is prepared to offer nothing as a peace offering?

You have perfectly illustrated how Gazza is the melting pot for groups like Hamas. As we type, Israel in their quest to eliminate Hamas are creating recruits who will be radicalised by what they are currently witnessing in around their own homes that will ultimately see more Israeli's killed in cold blood just like on October 7th. If Israel want to stop the bloodshed of Israelis, they need to do something differently and in the world of peace, that usually means offering a meaningful concession. It means nothing for Palestine to stop firing rockets. Israel will do their bidding whether rockets are fired or not. The only people who can make a meaningful change is Israel.

The wall is built for protection of the Israelis. If there will be no violence from the Palestinians there will be no need for the wall.
Israel is not preventing people from coming and going if they have a permit for this. Gazans work in Israel, in the same Kibutsim the Hamas attacked.
Israel is limiting goods that are used for non-humanitarian uses (aka weapons and tools and goods to create weapons).
If you have nothing to loose but a lot to gain would you negotiate a possible improvement of your conditions?
The change is getting rid of Hamas.
Reply 22
Original post by Kathy89
The wall is built for protection of the Israelis. If there will be no violence from the Palestinians there will be no need for the wall.
Israel is not preventing people from coming and going if they have a permit for this. Gazans work in Israel, in the same Kibutsim the Hamas attacked.
Israel is limiting goods that are used for non-humanitarian uses (aka weapons and tools and goods to create weapons).
If you have nothing to loose but a lot to gain would you negotiate a possible improvement of your conditions?
The change is getting rid of Hamas.

You won't get rid of Hamas. Sure, you might destroy the current bunch but with every day, you are recruiting the next group and whatever they decide to call themselves. The only people who can change are the Israelis. They hold all the cards and all the power. The Palestinians have nothing to lose.

There is an old adage - you can't change the behaviour of someone else but you can change your own behaviour. I can tell you from first hand experience as a teacher that the behaviour of my students in my class is a reflection of my own behaviour. If I become authoritative and dictatorial, my students become unruly and uncompromising. If I meet them on a level, respect them and speak to them like human beings, their behaviour changes drastically for the better. Sadly Israel and many other besieged states seem unable to grasp this very basic but human concept. Sometimes you have to be the bigger person. Sometimes you have to make the first concession. Sometimes you have to be humble. I don't see any of that in Israel's attitude to their neighbours and as along as that continues nothing will change.
Reply 23
Original post by hotpud
You won't get rid of Hamas. Sure, you might destroy the current bunch but with every day, you are recruiting the next group and whatever they decide to call themselves. The only people who can change are the Israelis. They hold all the cards and all the power. The Palestinians have nothing to lose.

There is an old adage - you can't change the behaviour of someone else but you can change your own behaviour. I can tell you from first hand experience as a teacher that the behaviour of my students in my class is a reflection of my own behaviour. If I become authoritative and dictatorial, my students become unruly and uncompromising. If I meet them on a level, respect them and speak to them like human beings, their behaviour changes drastically for the better. Sadly Israel and many other besieged states seem unable to grasp this very basic but human concept. Sometimes you have to be the bigger person. Sometimes you have to make the first concession. Sometimes you have to be humble. I don't see any of that in Israel's attitude to their neighbours and as along as that continues nothing will change.

Israel have tried different approach. Right now the only option is elimination of the terror, and putting someone there to control the population, rebuilding the infrastructure and the economy there and gradually giving them more freedom.
Reply 24
Original post by Kathy89
Israel have tried different approach. Right now the only option is elimination of the terror, and putting someone there to control the population, rebuilding the infrastructure and the economy there and gradually giving them more freedom.

And imagine if Hamas did that to Israel. Walked into Tel Aviv, installed their own government having killed the Israeli government and exerted total control over Israel. That would put an end to violence wouldn't it? All Israelis would naturally be open to the new way of governance and see it as an opportunity for a better future. There would be no resistance and everyone would conform to the new better way of doing things....

Right????

I am I seriously the only person in the world who can see what is going on for what it actually is? Do you honestly believe that by governing Gaza things will get better? Like France was in much better hands under the Nazis and there was no resistance?

Honestly, what is the difference between the Nazis invading Europe and persecuting the Jews and what Israel is going now with Gaza?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 25
Original post by hotpud
And imagine if Hamas did that to Israel. Walked into Tel Aviv, installed their own government having killed the Israeli government and exerted total control over Israel. That would put an end to violence wouldn't it? All Israelis would naturally be open to the new way of governance and see it as an opportunity for a better future. There would be no resistance and everyone would conform to the new better way of doing things....

Right????

I am I seriously the only person in the world who can see what is going on for what it actually is? Do you honestly believe that by governing Gaza things will get better? Like France was in much better hands under the Nazis and there was no resistance?

Honestly, what is the difference between the Nazis invading Europe and persecuting the Jews and what Israel is going now with Gaza?

That's exactly what they tried to do....

Europe didn't want to kill all Germans to begin with....
Original post by hotpud

The USA especially seems to be the prime example of the state that is unable to grasp this, throw France and the UK (England mainly) into the mix as well.
Pro-Israel.

These Palestinians, so many of them, love Hamas, especially now. These Arabs didn't accept Israels until recently. Of course Israel would be scared and respond disproportionately, especially with terrorists (Hamas and their sympathisers) at their border.

This is war, some innocents would die. I will not be manipulated by very pro-Palestinians, quite woke people, into thinking for a ceasefire that'll merely benefit Hamas.

Those tactics of having babies covered in tomato sauce to make a "point" does not work for me, because I don't care all that much about many Palestinian civilians (Besides, many really really love extremist Hamas, and Israel is taking care of them for us).
Original post by hotpud

Right????

You're not the only person who can see it, maybe on TSR it could be (if you exclude myself), but also there are some people on this thread (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7407198) and another one criticising Israel. Look elsewhere on the internet or look in real life, and you'll see that people have some/more humanity and can see the parallels that you've drawn when it comes to this whole conflict.
Reply 29
Over 90% of the votes in the last election were for either Hamas or PLO, both terrorist organisations. Hamas have categorically stated that their mission in life is to wipe out Israel. When you live next to a country that you know wants to kill you and everyone else in your country you don't just sit there and take it, you fight back. If PLO were in charge there may be a small chance of peace but with Hamas there is no chance.

Even the neighbouring Arab countries have given up on Palestine as you can't negotiate with Hamas.
Reply 30
Original post by Talkative Toad
The USA especially seems to be the prime example of the state that is unable to grasp this, throw France and the UK (England mainly) into the mix as well.

Agreed. I can only assume the power of Israel extends right into the inner sanctum of most Western governments.
Original post by hotpud
Agreed. I can only assume the power of Israel extends right into the inner sanctum of most Western governments.

But that’s the problem with the West, they like to other parts of the world accountable and impose their values, policies and goals onto others but refuse to hold themselves accountable (again the USA, France and England being the prime examples of this in my opinion).

I’m aware that other countries do this but the double standards are still there.
Reply 32
Original post by Talkative Toad
But that’s the problem with the West, they like to other parts of the world accountable and impose their values, policies and goals onto others but refuse to hold themselves accountable (again the USA, France and England being the prime examples of this in my opinion).

I’m aware that other countries do this but the double standards are still there.

Agreed. One would hope we have learned our lessons but sadly I don't think we have. Perhaps Israel could learn a thing or two from us. 20 years of fighting / occupation in Afghanistan and things are right back where we found them. I have no doubt there will be radical groups regrouping under the protection of the Taliban.

Israel may well claim to have removed Hamas by the end of this campaign but they are simply setting in motion the resentment required by the next generation to radicalise against Israel. So short sighted.
Reply 33
Original post by hotpud
Agreed. One would hope we have learned our lessons but sadly I don't think we have. Perhaps Israel could learn a thing or two from us. 20 years of fighting / occupation in Afghanistan and things are right back where we found them. I have no doubt there will be radical groups regrouping under the protection of the Taliban.

Israel may well claim to have removed Hamas by the end of this campaign but they are simply setting in motion the resentment required by the next generation to radicalise against Israel. So short sighted.

You can't compare the two situations.
You have no boarders with Afghanistan and Afghanistan never wanted to wipe you off and take your land.
Reply 34
Original post by Kathy89
You can't compare the two situations.
You have no boarders with Afghanistan and Afghanistan never wanted to wipe you off and take your land.

You absolutely can compare situations.

In both situations you have sovereign governments who feel threatened by a group of people they define as terrorists.

In both situations, they have deployed traditional military equipment and methods to try and rid themselves of the supposed threat.

The methods of using conventional fighting force have never worked and in the case of Hamas will not work either. Hamas as an organisation may well be defeated in Gaza but will exist elsewhere and the vacuum and upset caused by the military incursion is a perfect breading ground for the next generation of supposed terrorists

In both situations those with the power offered no concessions on their part and imposed unrealistic expectations of the terrorists as part of a negotiated process and instead put all the responsibility for peace on the supposed terrorists.

In cases both historic and present, innocent civilians on the weaker side bore the brunt of deaths whilst those being pursued largely melted away into the general population.

In all cases, historic and present, peace was not brokered, terrorism was not ended and the situation didn't chance one bit.
(edited 4 months ago)
Please keep this discussion to the main thread on this topic here.

Latest

Trending

Trending