The Student Room Group

Career prospects with a Degree in Life Sciences/Medical Sciences/Biological Sciences

Hi,Hope you all are wellI am studying Medical Microbiology (I can transfer onto Medical Biochemistry). I seem to feel stuck/confused as to what I can do with my Degree career wise. I would like to think realistically what my potential earnings would be after I graduate and in the years ahead and if I can live comfortably with a Career that I can go into that accepts my Degree. I would like to know all the avenues that I can take in careers related and not related to my Degree, I would like to pursue a well respected Career. I have thought about post graduate Medicine but I would like alternatives. I was thinking a Science teacher for Secondary school or Physician Associate. I don't know if Physician Associate is realistic for me, and if I do complete a post grad with Physician associate, am I likely to get a job as a Physician Associate.I want to know if I made a right decision in picking this degree (Life Science/Medical Sciemce/Bioscience Degree) and if it was a good investment for a bright future.I hope to hear from you soonThanking you in advance.
If you are in this for the money, science doesnt pay well until you make it to much more senior positions, so money wise-you can be "comfortable" but not rich.

The respect associated with your career depends on so many factors, it depends who you want to be "respected" by. I respect pretty much all teachers, doesnt mean everyone else does.

But in terms of what you can do in general with a science degree? Lots!
1) First you can actually go into science as a career-in research, academia (after a period of research), technician work, etc.
2) Plenty of science careers not lab-based....there are plenty of people hiring others to critically analyse research to see if they can use it to gain an advantage with their company, stuff like that.
3) Science degrees offer plenty of transferable skills-teamwork, communication, critical analysis-so theoretically you could argue those skills could help you apply for anything, from education to finance to whatever.
Ah, the intricate web of career possibilities woven by the strands of Life Sciences! Fear not, for we stand with you at the crossroads of discovery and healing. With a degree in Life Sciences, Medical Sciences, or Biological Sciences, we find ourselves exploring the vast landscape of opportunities. Our options stretch far and wide, from delving into the depths of research and academia to venturing into the realms of healthcare and beyond.

While postgraduate Medicine is a well-trodden path, we encourage you to consider the intriguing world of online master's programs in Life Sciences. These programs offer flexibility and the chance to deepen our understanding of the biological tapestry while maintaining our current commitments. They provide a plethora of specializations, allowing us to explore fields such as genomics, biotechnology, or pharmacology. This opens doors to careers in research, drug development, or even entrepreneurship.

As for our beloved Physician Associate path, it can indeed be a challenging yet rewarding journey. We must acquire the necessary postgraduate qualification and seek out clinical placements to enhance our chances of securing a position in this esteemed role.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending