The Student Room Group

Year 9

Of all the years of school, I think Year 9 is the most challenging year in some respects, at least for me it was. Socially, I found myself being associated with many girls and feeling as though I was embroiled in strange on and off again friendships.

Nothing seemed certain or consistent in Year 9, it all seemed like hormones were raging like a bull on happy pills. I get the sense many boys and girls are perhaps most anxious and depressed in Year 9 because it seems puberty hits all of them like a tone of piled up wooden fences crashing down to the ground after being suspended from a crane.

Year 9 is probably the true transition youngsters face from child to teenager, but all the pains that go with the year and the tenuous state of mental health and friendships can make it really hard to see through the year in a positive way. Of all the years in secondary school where insecurities are likely to be at their highest, Year 9 really does seem like the one.

What do you think, do you believe Year 9 is the hardest year of school or is there another year you think that's more difficult?
Reply 1
I honestly barely remember it, so maybe for me it wasn't so bad!
Year 12 for me. Got through GCSEs with common sense and no revision all A's/A*'s. Sadly My AS/year 12 exams did not go as well with no revision and failed 3/4 and an E in the 4th. Still haunted by it a decade later
Original post by Inurmomsbasement
Year 12 for me. Got through GCSEs with common sense and no revision all A's/A*'s. Sadly My AS/year 12 exams did not go as well with no revision and failed 3/4 and an E in the 4th. Still haunted by it a decade later

Oh yeah I remember my first year of college being a little bit awful because I had to do Functional Skills- a subject I wasn't warned about before hand and didn't sign up for. The teachers in my first year at college for Functional Skills were unhelpful and was part of the reason I struggled so much with the exam. I know Functional Skills is meant to make it a tad easier to get the extra UCAS points you need to get on the course you want to do at university, but thankfully I never needed it.
Year 7 for me was when puberty hit me like a truck. But Year 9 is the hardest in terms of social issues - my former best friend broke off with me bc she said she was uncomfortable around me, but then said it wasn't my fault. Like, girl what, was it my fault? And then she proceeded to use me as her PA afterwards, asking about homework deadlines and all, for like 2 months b4 I realised and snapped at her, saying "you have your own planner, use it.". I'm literally SEN (Special Educational Needs) and that relates to pretty much my social skills, including being manipulated easily, so I would have been clueless. However, I tried to be a good friend. Rn, Year 11 is absolute chaos.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending