The Student Room Group

Psychology, mental health / coaching job advice

So currently I am a final year student of English & Classical studies and although writing and reading remains a large passion of mine , my other passion lays in helping others whether through volunteering , charity work etc . Over time I came to learn about myself that i find it important as well to reach people and help them on a mental basis . However the issue is that whilst I can apply for a psychology conversion course masters, I came to realise that the education system and university is not really my thing and I admit that my experience there taught me that the methods there aren’t really my thing. As a person I am very spiritual , religious , philosophical and would like to get some advice as to whether anyone knowns about any independent courses out there that would enable me to gain a certificate in areas like counselling , psychology , mentoring , coaching etc rather than having to go to university? Whilst I want to work with others, ideally I I hope to move onto setting consultations and workshops of my own someday
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by _np02_
So currently I am a final year student of English & Classical studies and although writing and reading remains a large passion of mine , my other passion lays in helping others whether through volunteering , charity work etc . Over time I came to learn about myself that i find it important as well to reach people and help them on a mental basis . However the issue is that whilst I can apply for a psychology conversion course masters, I came to realise that the education system and university is not really my thing and I admit that my experience there taught me that the methods there aren’t really my thing. As a person I am very spiritual , religious , philosophical and would like to get some advice as to whether anyone knowns about any independent courses out there that would enable me to gain a certificate in areas like counselling , psychology , mentoring , coaching etc rather than having to go to university? Whilst I want to work with others, ideally I I hope to move onto setting consultations and workshops of my own someday

Hi! So it kind of depends on what area of psychology you would like to work in, if you want to be a registered therapist, clinician, counsellor etc, you will almost definitely need to be a member of the BPS by graduation. The only way to do this is to complete a BPS accredited course (BSc or MSc conversion). You can still go into psychology without this accreditation, however you will likely find that your job opportunities are decreased. It is worth noting that you can study a conversion MSc part time and/or online, to reduce the pressure of studying constantly if that works better for you!
Best of luck.
-Kat (2nd year psychology undergraduate, Lancaster University)

Quick Reply

Latest