The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do, is there a chance?

Hi hi! This is my first LDR so I’m not sure how to navigate it, if he were in my city then I’d 100% be going over and making sure he was okay but I don’t have that option (and he’s totally withdrawn from his friends too).

Basically, we’ve been together since September (speaking since July, but we met physically in September 🥺) and whilst it was amazing, we knew we’d have a rough go of it from late November through till the start of January because of how work and his family situation were going to line up. He also gets deep depressive episodes, though this is the first one that’s happened during our time together.

Until late November, we were texting constantly and FaceTiming multiple times a week for HOURS and I knew it wasn’t sustainable, but we’re currently only texting two or 3 times a day and haven’t been able to FaceTime for 2 weeks (although that FaceTime did last 6 hours, whoops 💀).

We’re meant to be FaceTiming on Monday (depending on whether he makes it home from work at a decent hour and what his sister’s mental health is like), but last night I brought up the fact we’ve not been communicating much and how we could go about solving it. He said he’s really thinking to try and find something that’ll work because at the moment he’s finding it hard to juggle everything. I know he’s doing his best and that he is prioritising me as best he can (in that he’s actually managing to talk to me every day, he doesn’t manage that with anyone else), but it’s hard and I don’t want to lose him because I know how rough a depressive episode is and I have a busy life too and I’d rather my partner didn’t leave me if I was pushing everything away in that moment.

We want the same things, we get on amazingly well, we’ve both met each other’s friends and both groups were gushing over how much we clearly like each other and I know that we both have strong feelings for each other, I’m just not sure what the best way to navigate this speed bump is 😢
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi hi! This is my first LDR so I’m not sure how to navigate it, if he were in my city then I’d 100% be going over and making sure he was okay but I don’t have that option (and he’s totally withdrawn from his friends too).

Basically, we’ve been together since September (speaking since July, but we met physically in September 🥺) and whilst it was amazing, we knew we’d have a rough go of it from late November through till the start of January because of how work and his family situation were going to line up. He also gets deep depressive episodes, though this is the first one that’s happened during our time together.

Until late November, we were texting constantly and FaceTiming multiple times a week for HOURS and I knew it wasn’t sustainable, but we’re currently only texting two or 3 times a day and haven’t been able to FaceTime for 2 weeks (although that FaceTime did last 6 hours, whoops 💀).

We’re meant to be FaceTiming on Monday (depending on whether he makes it home from work at a decent hour and what his sister’s mental health is like), but last night I brought up the fact we’ve not been communicating much and how we could go about solving it. He said he’s really thinking to try and find something that’ll work because at the moment he’s finding it hard to juggle everything. I know he’s doing his best and that he is prioritising me as best he can (in that he’s actually managing to talk to me every day, he doesn’t manage that with anyone else), but it’s hard and I don’t want to lose him because I know how rough a depressive episode is and I have a busy life too and I’d rather my partner didn’t leave me if I was pushing everything away in that moment.

We want the same things, we get on amazingly well, we’ve both met each other’s friends and both groups were gushing over how much we clearly like each other and I know that we both have strong feelings for each other, I’m just not sure what the best way to navigate this speed bump is 😢

If you both love each other there’s a chance to make it work “when two people love each other they’ll do everything possible to make it work” now the weakness or area of concern as you rightfully highlighted is communication if your not able to FaceTime get the texting in between checking up daily how you both are, also utilise phone calls dropping calls in between the day to check up on each other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending