The Student Room Group

in my 3rd year and feel like i chose the wrong course and/or uni

Im in my 3rd year of uni right now and im studying animation. My uni isnt a specialized art uni. when i was thinking about what course to apply for, my parents told me to go with animation instead of concept art, which is the main role want to go into in the future, because its a "broader" course. They also wanted me to go to a uni that was fairly nearby (im commuting to uni this year). Now i cant help but feel like i let them influence my decision because i didnt have enough faith in myself. i think about what things would've been like if i went to a uni known for its good video games courses.

The course structure at my current uni is absolutely CRAP. I like *some* the actual stuff we get to do but because we have multiple full size projects happening all at once that we have to juggle, its so unbelievably stressful, also considering everything is coursework! I dont know if other art courses run like that but when i was in college, we just focused on one long project per term with skills workshops on the side, so going from that to the crazy workload im facing now is genuinely so painful. the course structure we follow right now wouldn't even happen in a real job so all this stress seems so pointless. I feel like the only good experiences i've had in uni are with my classmates and my own personal art growth. Even then because of uni, ive been so burnt out from drawing.

Now that im in my third year i dont know where to go, i still want to learn and expand my knowledge but in concept art specifically. Do i want to do a masters? just work on my portfolio? online course? I just feel like i have alot of regrets...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending