The Student Room Group

How Are You Going To Maximise Your Holiday Break?

We have been all waiting for this moment. The December break is finally here :biggrin:, bringing a well-deserved moment of respite for both prospective year 12/13 and university students.

As tempting as it is to dive headfirst into your cosy pyjamas and Netflix shows that you missed, finding the right balance between rest and revision is crucial for making the most out of this valuable time. So, how to do it?

1. Craft a realistic and detailed plan

Set achievable goals for this time, including relaxation and scholar responsibilities. Identify the key areas that need your attention.

Once you have them, create a schedule that will balance leisure and tasks to be completed. This approach prevents wasting time and burnout. It will also make the successful accomplishment more likely to happen.

2. Importance of planning ahead

Planning is your secret weapon. For university students, this means reflecting on the past semester's performance and identifying areas for improvement. I like to consider what study methods worked best and feedback from professors. There is always something that can be improved and lead to the enhancement in my academic performance.

Prospective students should plan ahead by researching in-depth universities of interest and deciding on the five choices. This proactive approach will ease the pressure as application deadlines approach. There is nothing worse than making a life decision in a rush. Give yourself enough time.

3. Ideas for effective energy renewal

Renewing energy goes way beyond just catching up on Netflix and sleep. Engage in activities that truly relax your mind and body. Consider committing to your hobbies, reading for pleasure, quality time with your family and friends, or practicing mindfulness.

You will be surprised how taking breaks from screen can be restful, especially since we spend hours studying stooped in front of our computers.

4. Book onto Open Days

Use this time to finally schedule a free time and book these events. From my experience, they are the most helpful when deciding on the right choice as they are a chance to experience the university first-hand.

Mark these dates on your calendar and take advantage of these opportunities to get a feel for the environment and ask questions that can guide your decision-making process.

5. Invest in your future

Employers more and more often opt for candidates with practical experience. Therefore, having something more on your resume than only a degree enhances your employability. The December break offers a rare window to conduct thorough research on summer internships and similar programmes.

In addition, applying for internships requires tailored and thoughtful applications. The holiday period allows you to invest time in crafting personalized resumes and cover letters that will showcase your genuine interest and dedication.

6. Be flexible

Lastly, remember that plans may need adjustment. Unexpected events and last-minute invitations are part of the holiday season, and being open to change ensures you make the most of every opportunity. After all, you are the most important, and should do what feels right at a particular moment.

I hope you will find it helpful :wink: Do not forget to share your tips and plans for the December break!

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions :smile: Remember that you can also chat with me and other students through The Ambassador Platform.

Have a lovely (and a little bit productive!) holiday time,

Julia :colondollar:
Psychology student
De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending