The Student Room Group

Help- dropping out of uni

I'm in my second year of my course but in my third year of uni, I swapped the course after my first year because I wasn't enjoying it. I'm still not enjoying uni however and now I am thinking of dropping out but unsure what I would do if I left. I no longer have any passion for my course or any dreams of it in a career sense and it's making my mental health quite poor.

I am hesitant to drop out as I feel like I will have wasted the past 3 years of my life and don't know how easy it will be to find a job I enjoy without being a graduate.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm in my second year of my course but in my third year of uni, I swapped the course after my first year because I wasn't enjoying it. I'm still not enjoying uni however and now I am thinking of dropping out but unsure what I would do if I left. I no longer have any passion for my course or any dreams of it in a career sense and it's making my mental health quite poor.

I am hesitant to drop out as I feel like I will have wasted the past 3 years of my life and don't know how easy it will be to find a job I enjoy without being a graduate.

Hi!

You can still have a great career without a degree. You could perhaps look into internships as these could provide you with the qualifications to enter a career at a similar/same standing point as someone with a degree.

Everyone is on a different path and yours is just as valid!

I hope this helps! 🙂

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield
Original post by Anonymous

It’s rarely a good idea to run away from something without even a vague idea of what you are running towards.

Have you used your university counselling service and spoken to your GP about your low mood?

How are your results?

What course is it you’re doing? What career dream did you used to have that you have now ruled out?
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
It’s rarely a good idea to run away from something without even a vague idea of what you are running towards.

Have you used your university counselling service and spoken to your GP about your low mood?

How are your results?

What course is it you’re doing? What career dream did you used to have that you have now ruled out?

I’ve not used the university counselling service as when putting a referral in I wasn’t allowed to select speaking to someone in person. I haven’t spoken to my gp either as based off people I know’s experience there’s a massive waiting list of people seeking therapy/counselling. I have used an independent mental health service to discuss my low mood and to try and help me out of it.

My results are okay they’re nothing spectacular as I said I have no passion left for the course and it doesn’t interest me anymore so my works not amazing.

It’s a Physical Activity and nutrition course. When I first came to uni I wanted to be a PE teacher but after my first year that changed and I wanted to join the army instead. Due to some medical issues I can’t join though so I’ve been stuck with what I want to do.
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve not used the university counselling service as when putting a referral in I wasn’t allowed to select speaking to someone in person. I haven’t spoken to my gp either as based off people I know’s experience there’s a massive waiting list of people seeking therapy/counselling. I have used an independent mental health service to discuss my low mood and to try and help me out of it.

My results are okay they’re nothing spectacular as I said I have no passion left for the course and it doesn’t interest me anymore so my works not amazing.

It’s a Physical Activity and nutrition course. When I first came to uni I wanted to be a PE teacher but after my first year that changed and I wanted to join the army instead. Due to some medical issues I can’t join though so I’ve been stuck with what I want to do.

It might be worth talking to your university careers service. They might be able to help you work out what it was about the army that appeals to you and then find alternative careers that would offer similar things. Once you have even a vague plan of where you want to get to long term then you can look at the short term to work out how to get there.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
It might be worth talking to your university careers service. They might be able to help you work out what it was about the army that appeals to you and then find alternative careers that would offer similar things. Once you have even a vague plan of where you want to get to long term then you can look at the short term to work out how to get there.

Okay that’s great thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending