The Student Room Group

Switching to Sheffield Uni for Aerospace Engineering

Hi,

I'm a student currently at Swansea Uni for Aerospace Engineering and I find the course badly structured, the lecturers are mostly awful, and the course just is super badly managed. We've had a lecturer stopped from teaching cus he is that bad.

My question is, is it any better in Sheffield, as that would be where I would switch to, or am I just living on blind hope.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Original post by Westside04
Hi,

I'm a student currently at Swansea Uni for Aerospace Engineering and I find the course badly structured, the lecturers are mostly awful, and the course just is super badly managed. We've had a lecturer stopped from teaching cus he is that bad.

My question is, is it any better in Sheffield, as that would be where I would switch to, or am I just living on blind hope.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

According to the National Students' Survey, as quoted by the Uni Guide, 70% of final year Aerospace Engineering students at Swansea University feel that the "Course is well organised and has run smoothly". The overall satisfaction with the course is 86%. (source)

For University of Sheffield, that "Course is well organised and has run smoothly" number is 84%. The overall satisfaction with the course is 92%. (source)

So Sheffield does seem to be better, by those measures.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
According to the National Students' Survey, as quoted by the Uni Guide, 70% of final year Aerospace Engineering students at Swansea University feel that the "Course is well organised and has run smoothly". The overall satisfaction with the course is 86%. (source)

For University of Sheffield, that "Course is well organised and has run smoothly" number is 84%. The overall satisfaction with the course is 92%. (source)

So Sheffield does seem to be better, by those measures.

So do you think the switch is worth it? I would be putting myself a year back if I did
Original post by Westside04
So do you think the switch is worth it? I would be putting myself a year back if I did

Well, I don't know how much impact this has had, and will have, on your degree outcome (which is ultimately what matters). But looking at the pages I linked to above, it doesn't seem to have impacted other students significantly (in term of the percentage of students dropping out or the percentage of students not obtaining a 2:1 or above).

So based upon those data, it wouldn't seem worth dropping back a year. But ultimately this is your decision.

Have you make the university aware of how unhappy you are with the fact that you "find the course badly structured, the lecturers are mostly awful, and the course just is super badly managed"? I assume so, if you've "had a lecturer stopped from teaching".

If several of you feed this back via your course rep, it may have more impact than if you do so individually. If course it may have zero impact anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest