The Student Room Group

What makes a good university?

Hey everyone!

When it comes to choosing a good university, there are certain things that we all need. We need quality professors, access to resources, cool dorms and clubs, and resources and support like career services and financial aid.:biggrin:

Personally, when I was choosing my university, I made sure to look for these things.
But what about you guys?
What do you think are the necessary features and facilities for a good university?

Let's start a conversation and work towards creating the best possible university experience for all students.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts in the comments below.

Cheers,
- Ilya :u:
Reply 1
For me, I think a number of things are important: firstly, academic excellence and recognition of the institution as being accredited, secondly is student support programs to help improve the wellbeing of students when in university and prepare them for when they leave, and lastly a good university will have adequate and quality resources and facilities (this includes human resource, updated technology, infrastructure such as labs and research equipment where applicable, etc)
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by sarawpx
For me, I think a number of things are important: firstly, academic excellence and recognition of the institution as being accredited, secondly is student support programs to help improve the wellbeing of students when in university and prepare them for when they leave, and lastly a good university will have adequate and quality resources and facilities (this includes human resource, updated technology, infrastructure such as labs and research equipment where applicable, etc)

Hey there!

I couldn't agree more with your points, and thank you for sharing your thoughts on what makes a good university. Academic excellence and accreditation are indeed crucial factors that contribute to the overall reputation and quality of an institution. It's important to ensure that the university you choose meets certain standards and offers programs that align with your academic goals.

Student support programs play a vital role in fostering the well-being and success of students during their university journey. These programs can range from mental health resources to career counseling and mentorship opportunities. By providing a strong support system, universities can help students navigate challenges and prepare them for life beyond graduation.

You also touched upon the significance of having adequate and quality resources and facilities. Access to up-to-date technology, well-equipped labs, and research equipment is essential for students to thrive in their respective fields. A conducive learning environment that fosters hands-on experiences and encourages exploration is invaluable.

Building on your insightful response, I'd like to ask other participants in this conversation: What specific student support programs have you come across or experienced that have made a positive impact on your university journey? Additionally, what resources and facilities do you consider crucial for a well-rounded university experience? Let's keep the conversation going and learn from one another's perspectives.

Looking forward to hearing more thoughts from all of you!

Cheers,

- Ilya:cool:
Reply 3
I think the postgrad dissertations are worth a lot, coz they are one of the criteria for uni ranking
Original post by ih3155
I think the postgrad dissertations are worth a lot, coz they are one of the criteria for uni ranking

Hi @ih3155,

That is an interesting perspective, and I agree with you.
However, I am interested in your opinion on the following matter: What is more important - university ranking or facilities and teaching quality? The reason I am asking is that there are a lot of young universities who are yet to achieve any sufficient rankings, but they do provide outstanding teaching experience. I am just interested to hear your opinion :smile:

Thank you in advance,

- Ilya :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending