The Student Room Group

How long should my animation clips be in my Art portfolio for Unis?

I have made a few animations and video projects, however they are each around two minutes long. I don’t know whether I should submit the whole thing but I have told to make the reviewers click the least amount of times possible, so I doubt they would sit through the entire videos. I am thinking of clipping the best few seconds of each of these projects if not, however I would like to know what the best length for these clips would be. (Inserted into a powerpoint portfolio).
Thanks!
Hello,

Different universities may request different types of content for your application, so it's best to research what each university requires specifically. A showreel, which is a compilation of multiple clips in one video, could be the most effective way to showcase your work. Alternatively, you could create a website to present your portfolio. Ultimately, it comes down to what you think will best represent your work and creative ideas/passions.

Kate - Arts University Plymouth Rep
💻 Email us at [email protected]
☎️ Call us on 01752 203402⁠
📱 Whatsapp us at 07722 744184⁠
Reply 2
You should display what you are genuinely passionate about.

Individual works with a brief rundown of influences/process/reasoning show your planning, thought process and execution.

On the other hand, a showreel would display your ability to pinpoint the most successful elements of your work. It also allows for display of editing skills, understanding of how different works intermingle, and so on. You can provide links to full versions of your work if you wish - portfolios are open to creativity providing they are legible and easy to navigate.

If you primarily want to work in animation and video, focus more on it. If it's a smaller interest, trim accordingly.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest