The Student Room Group

Things to do in Wrexham/Chester as student

I'm a first yearstudent in Wrexham. Im looking to meet more people. Any good clubs/volunteering I could join? I get so bored when at uni and miss home. Not slot to do so I don't know a huge amount of people outside my course. I'm looking to make friends in Chester too but can't join societies.
I appreciate any advice from students in the area
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Damitr05
I'm a first year Bangor student in Wrexham. Im looking to meet more people. Any good clubs/volunteering I could join? I get so bored when at uni and miss home. Not slot to do so I don't know a huge amount of people outside my course. I'm looking to make friends in Chester too but can't join societies.

Hi @Damitr05,

I am a student at the University of Chester, so hopefully I can help here! 🙂

While a lot of my volunteering is through the university, I've also found a few opportunities in the city. My favourite is to volunteer for Chester MBNA Marathon. I've met some lovely people while doing this, had such a blast at the three race days they have each year, and scored some awesome freebies!

I would also recommend having a look into Chester Cathedral, Storyhouse, Chester Zoo, and researching into the numerous parades held in the city to start. These places may have clubs/volunteering you can get involved in and also host some great events throughout the year.

It'll take a little bit of research and putting yourself out there, but there are definitely loads of things to get involved in!

I hope this helps - let me know if you have any questions 🙂

Isabella
Third-Year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
I'm a first yearstudent in Wrexham. Im looking to meet more people. Any good clubs/volunteering I could join? I get so bored when at uni and miss home. Not slot to do so I don't know a huge amount of people outside my course. I'm looking to make friends in Chester too but can't join societies.

If I’m being honest, I come from Wrexham and it’s a ghost town. I wouldn’t dare go on a night out there because it’s filled with either crackheads or familiar faces.
Daytime things to do are: Chirk Castle, Erddig House, Pottery Painting, Cinema. In Chester there is the story house building which shows lots of films and shows and live acts.

Hi,

I am based in Chester and I know that there are lots of clubs and societies catering to different interests. Joining one or more can be a great way to meet people who share the same passions as you. We also have an active student union that hosts events which you could attend.

There are plenty of places in Chester that offer fitness classes (you could search for fitness classes in Wrexham too) which could be fun and could help you to meet new people, the university has lots of volunteering opportunities which you could enquire about as well as various charity shops in Chester and possibly Wrexham that need volunteers. I would advise you to reach out directly as they might have a position suitable for you and it could be a great way for you to meet new people or you could try to apply for a part-time job alongside your studies. This would allow you to make some money as well as network.

Remember making new friends takes time and patience, so don't shy away from stepping out of your comfort zone.
Good luck! 🙂

Paige- UoC Digital Marketing MSc student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending