The Student Room Group

Have a dark mode for TSR

Problem Summary
Have a dark mode for TSR

Problem Details
Simple request (although this might not be simple to implement is to have a dark mode for TSR). I’ve seen many users ask for it and it’s surprising that TSR doesn’t have it yet considering the fact that most other websites, forums and Social Media platforms do have this ability (see suggestion below and I have already made this suggestion in the feedback thread).

Device
Mobile

Browser
Brave

Link
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7432319&page=9#post99060988

Additional Information
I guess the solution could be to have a dark mode where the background becomes black, text becomes white etc but then the theme of TSR itself goes back to the blue colour scheme when this dark mode is turned on rather than remaining purple. Win-win for everyone no?

Light mode= current/purple colour scheme
Dark mode= old/blue colour scheme
@Fibonacci28 saw your comment in the brand feedback and thought I'd tag you in this thread requesting a dark mode.

Do you think a dark mode would help with you finding colours on the site too bright? Have you found dark modes on other sites or Apps helpful for this?
Original post by dinosaurchef
@Fibonacci28 saw your comment in the brand feedback and thought I'd tag you in this thread requesting a dark mode.

Do you think a dark mode would help with you finding colours on the site too bright? Have you found dark modes on other sites or Apps helpful for this?

I personally don’t use a dark mode unless my phone automatically sets it so dark mode or no dark mode makes no difference to me however I’ve seen a lot of TSR users who have been asking for a dark mode, combined with the fact that some users don’t like the new colour scheme, so maybe a dark mode could be implemented whereby background goes black, text goes white essentially how it is on most other platforms (as platforms like Reddit, Discord, YouTube, WhatsApp etc all have a dark mode) and the colour scheme goes back to the old blue, green and orange rather than sticking to the current purple colour scheme.

Most people online use dark mode 24/7 where possible unless I’m wrong, at least that’s what I gather from online comments (to the point where I’m seen as a cretin for even using/liking light mode).

Dark modes sometimes help, it's usually not the white that is the problem though, it's the brightness or 'business' of the colours. So if the dark mode turned it to electric blue, that would not be helpful. A quieter blue, like the previous site would work well though
Original post by Fibonacci28
Dark modes sometimes help, it's usually not the white that is the problem though, it's the brightness or 'business' of the colours. So if the dark mode turned it to electric blue, that would not be helpful. A quieter blue, like the previous site would work well though

What about this for example?:
IMG_1450.png
too bright?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Talkative Toad
What about this for example?:
IMG_1450.png
too bright?

That's not too bad, providing it doesn't also contain the lime green, can't see in this picture, but it's still a very vivid purple
That's not too bad, providing it doesn't also contain the lime green, can't see in this picture, but it's still a very vivid purple

IMG_1451.png
IMG_1451.png

Yeah that's much better
Yeah that's much better

Yeah my browser has this feature but I pretty much don’t use it.
Really helpful to know, thanks guys. I'm aware users have been asking for dark mode for a loooong time.

The new tech should make this easier so, although I can't make any promises, hopefully we'll be able to get something out in the near future.
Problem Summary
Have a dark mode for TSR

Problem Details
Simple request (although this might not be simple to implement is to have a dark mode for TSR). I’ve seen many users ask for it and it’s surprising that TSR doesn’t have it yet considering the fact that most other websites, forums and Social Media platforms do have this ability (see suggestion below and I have already made this suggestion in the feedback thread).

Device
Mobile

Browser
Brave

Link
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7432319&page=9#post99060988

Additional Information
I guess the solution could be to have a dark mode where the background becomes black, text becomes white etc but then the theme of TSR itself goes back to the blue colour scheme when this dark mode is turned on rather than remaining purple. Win-win for everyone no?

Light mode= current/purple colour scheme
Dark mode= old/blue colour scheme

i would love a dark mode - so if i'm using tsr after sunset then it's like i'm winding down :smile:
Really helpful to know, thanks guys. I'm aware users have been asking for dark mode for a loooong time.

The new tech should make this easier so, although I can't make any promises, hopefully we'll be able to get something out in the near future.

Nice profile picture, yeah I mean browsers like brave have a built it night mode tbf, but yeah, maybe similar to the blue on this Google logo could be implemented in the dark mode for example (replace the purple):
IMG_1458.jpeg

I’m not bothered by the purple colour scheme or lack of dark mode despite my thread on this, it’s more to give ideas and because I’ve seen others say that they either a) want a dark mode and/or b) preferred the old colour scheme and dislike the current purple one.

This is good news though.

CC @souffle101 ^^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending