The Student Room Group

Child Nursing

Hello, i’m currently in my first year of child nursing and i’ve only just started but I wanted to get some opinions. The lecturers keep reiterating how difficult this course is and honestly it’s making me not want to do it. I’ve also read some other people’s experiences and it’s scaring me a bit. Can you guys please give me some of your opinions on this job and whether i should just drop out and maybe some other job alternatives.
Thank you so much :smile:
(edited 3 months ago)
Hey,

Everyone's experience is different so try not to compare to others.

Every university degree can be hard however, you will succeed if you put in the hard work.

The lecturers are preparing you however, if you really enjoy the course and want to be a child nurse i would stick at it.

Child Nursing is a great career with lots of opportunities to progress in the future. It is also a very rewarding job where you will make a difference.

My advice is to have a think if you really want to be a child nurse and to see if you can picture yourself being a child nurse in the future. It will be hard and there will be bumps in the road however, if you are really passionate definitely stick at it!

I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by smya
Hello, i’m currently in my first year of child nursing and i’ve only just started but I wanted to get some opinions. The lecturers keep reiterating how difficult this course is and honestly it’s making me not want to do it. I’ve also read some other people’s experiences and it’s scaring me a bit. Can you guys please give me some of your opinions on this job and whether i should just drop out and maybe some other job alternatives.

I think the concept of the lecturers always warning the students is to make sure everyone is serious. I am starting adult nursing this september. My sister, aunt, and cousins are qualified nurses. So far, they have all had an easy uni life. I think it gets challenging when you have kids and you have to attend placements. Always remember that what you are doing is rewarding and dont give up! Took u long to reach where u are. You are almost there!
Original post by smya

Hey!

Fellow child nursing student here! They warn us of how difficult it is so that people don't waste their time doing something they will end up dropping out of and it is a hard course. It can be long and tiring, theres a lot to it and it does take some strenght. If you are questioning wether you should continue or not than maybe it isn't the course for you. Take some time and have a good think about it. It is a difficult course and a difficult job but it is so worth it to know that you get to help people and make a difference, you are going into a job that matters so much to many people.

Best of luck,
Jess - Digital Student Ambassador ARU
Reply 4
Original post by ARUStudents
Hey!

Fellow child nursing student here! They warn us of how difficult it is so that people don't waste their time doing something they will end up dropping out of and it is a hard course. It can be long and tiring, theres a lot to it and it does take some strenght. If you are questioning wether you should continue or not than maybe it isn't the course for you. Take some time and have a good think about it. It is a difficult course and a difficult job but it is so worth it to know that you get to help people and make a difference, you are going into a job that matters so much to many people.

Best of luck,
Jess - Digital Student Ambassador ARU

Hi Jess,

Thank you so much for replying. I think you’re absolutely right, i’m in quite a tough position right now but I will try and have a good think about it. I really appreciate your words 😊
Reply 5
Original post by CCCU Health Rep
Hey,

Everyone's experience is different so try not to compare to others.

Every university degree can be hard however, you will succeed if you put in the hard work.

The lecturers are preparing you however, if you really enjoy the course and want to be a child nurse i would stick at it.

Child Nursing is a great career with lots of opportunities to progress in the future. It is also a very rewarding job where you will make a difference.

My advice is to have a think if you really want to be a child nurse and to see if you can picture yourself being a child nurse in the future. It will be hard and there will be bumps in the road however, if you are really passionate definitely stick at it!

I hope this helps :smile:

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to reply to me, I really appreciate it. I’m definitely going to have a good think about it.

Thanks again for the help :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Shima89
I think the concept of the lecturers always warning the students is to make sure everyone is serious. I am starting adult nursing this september. My sister, aunt, and cousins are qualified nurses. So far, they have all had an easy uni life. I think it gets challenging when you have kids and you have to attend placements. Always remember that what you are doing is rewarding and dont give up! Took u long to reach where u are. You are almost there!

Hi,

Thank for your replying to me. I definitely agree, lecturers are just letting us know what we’re in for. I think i’m gonna stick this out!

Thank you again for your time 😊
Original post by smya

Hi,

Third year children's nursing student here!

I'm not going to lie and say it's not difficult as nursing degrees are incredibly difficult to complete but with hard work and determination, it is definitely achievable.

I've found the degree challenging but I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, especially the placement element of it. The hours are long but so worth it and before you know it you'll be in your final few months and edging towards newly qualified life.

As others have said, every degree is difficult but I think the mixture of placement and theory is what makes nursing that little more difficult. If you are passionate about nursing though, keep going as it is definitely achievable and such a rewarding career.

I hope this is of some assistance

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending