The Student Room Group

Flatmates neglecting student house HELP

Hey guys,
I know this is a very common problem but I’m in a situation right now where my flatmates are neglecting our student house when it comes to cleaning. I don’t handle mess well but it’s got to the point where rubbish is being left on the floor, the kitchen stinks, bins are overflowing and dirty plates ect are being left everywhere. We also have an island in our kitchen which is absolutely filled with people’s stuff like arts and crafts, paint ect. I have done everything to encourage flatmates to step up when it comes to cleaning. I’ve created rotas twice and the most recent one makes people tick when they’ve done their part of the cleaning so I can see who isn’t doing their side of the cleaning and none of them have ticked their name off. I’ve sent loads of messages to the group chat, I’ve asked for face to face flat meetings but nothing is working and it’s getting to the point where I wouldn’t be surprised if we got rats. It’s so embarrassing and I’ve just been to pick up some stuff to take to my boyfriend’s house and I cried when I saw the state of the kitchen and the lounge. I’m doing my bit of the cleaning and I’ve taken out the bins again as they are overflowing. Please help I really can’t keep carrying on living like this x
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey guys,
I know this is a very common problem but I’m in a situation right now where my flatmates are neglecting our student house when it comes to cleaning. I don’t handle mess well but it’s got to the point where rubbish is being left on the floor, the kitchen stinks, bins are overflowing and dirty plates ect are being left everywhere. We also have an island in our kitchen which is absolutely filled with people’s stuff like arts and crafts, paint ect. I have done everything to encourage flatmates to step up when it comes to cleaning. I’ve created rotas twice and the most recent one makes people tick when they’ve done their part of the cleaning so I can see who isn’t doing their side of the cleaning and none of them have ticked their name off. I’ve sent loads of messages to the group chat, I’ve asked for face to face flat meetings but nothing is working and it’s getting to the point where I wouldn’t be surprised if we got rats. It’s so embarrassing and I’ve just been to pick up some stuff to take to my boyfriend’s house and I cried when I saw the state of the kitchen and the lounge. I’m doing my bit of the cleaning and I’ve taken out the bins again as they are overflowing. Please help I really can’t keep carrying on living like this x

Hi,
Im sorry to hear that the mess has got this bad. I think if your flatmates are making no effort to clean up and it is really affecting your day to day life, I would contact your accommodation team and explain. They should be able to offer you some advice or even find a better place for you. Of course some mess is almost inevitable in student accommodation, however this sounds like an awful situation to be in.
I hope this helps! Faye :smile:
Hey guys,

Anon,

Sorry to hear that things have got so bad. It is really tough because you don't want to come across like an angry parent but you also want people to be reasonable about basic hygiene. The rotas are clearly not working and it sounds like your flatmates haven't responded to the messages on Whats App very well, so maybe you could try talking to people directly.

You may be able to get other people who are willing to help clean the kitchen (if not everyone) or you may be able to understand why there's been a bit of resistance with cleaning ( people might feel stressed/ have other issues going on in their lives).

If you do talk to them directly, try to talk in a way that doesn't express you anger and frustration so instead of 'I am so fed up.....' maybe try something like 'We all want to be able to use the sink after a long day. We all want to be able to invite friends round... I think we need to try and find a way to make the kitchen work for everyone. Is it possible that we can agree...? Keep the focus on you all as a group and wanting the best for everyone.

I think if you make small requests (Would you.....?) and they respond that will be a good start (e.g. everyone agreeing to do one thing this week to help clean up the kitchen.) You could also try arranging a day to clean the kitchen together. Finally, you could also suggest, eating a meal together to try and encourage people to clean, but you'd have to be careful that the mess is not re-created once everything is tidied up!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Hey guys,

Hi there

I am really sorry to hear about your situation. You really should not have to put up with their behaviour, and it is good that you have attempted to prevent their behaviour.

Since it is not working, I would recommend emailing your Universities' accommodations requesting them to step in, or requesting a change of accommodation. Hopefully they will be able to offer you the support needed.

Good luck
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending