The Student Room Group

Second year houses with no close friends

Stressing out because I’m only 5 weeks in and people are all ready talking about who’s moving in with who for second year.
I would stay in halls a second year but I really can’t afford it as it’s London.
I haven’t made friends with the people in my halls flat either :frown: well at least not enough to move in with them! Stressing out…
Original post by Wooble05
Stressing out because I’m only 5 weeks in and people are all ready talking about who’s moving in with who for second year.
I would stay in halls a second year but I really can’t afford it as it’s London.
I haven’t made friends with the people in my halls flat either :frown: well at least not enough to move in with them! Stressing out…

Hi there!

I completely understand that this must be a really frustrating time for you but try not to worry too much about this!
Choosing who to live with can be a really difficult decision and not one you want to rush into! I started looking for houses around Christmas / New Year time and signed for a contract around January / February time for the following September.

There's still plenty of time to meet people on your course who you may not have met yet and you might even find people in the same situation! When it comes to living at university for second year, is there a way you could ask the uni to be put in a flat with other 2nd years so you'll know your not the only one in this situation?

I hope this helps,

Rebecca, 4th Year UCLan

Hi,

I had the same worries in first year- didn’t make my good friends until after Christmas! I was friends with my flatmates but after Christmas we became even closer and they’re the ones i wanted to live with :smile:

don’t worry too much friendships develop/ change. I’d say wait it out like I did- although I was in Edinburgh not London. If you can, wait until after Christmas maybe to find flatmates x

@Wooble05

That's definitely a lot of unnecessary stress to be dealing with! Try and stay focused on your course and being settled for now where you are. As you get to know people think about whether it might be good to share with them and maybe get an idea about their thoughts for next year, but try not to rush into anything. It's better to take your time, rather than sharing with people that you later don't want to share with or getting stuck with a contract that you wished you had not signed : (

If you do have reading week, it might be an idea see some student houses, to get an idea of the rent and space, so that you do have an idea what you are looking for and what is available. It might also be an idea to find out when most student houses are snapped up, so that you can have a timeline you can roughly work to.

There are always people rushing ahead, so don't be thrown by that, but also bear in mind that there is a lack of student housing in big cities so it's good to give it some thought.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 4
To be honest, staying with close friends probably isn't as great as you might expect. From experience, you may be around them a little too much which can lead to getting under each other's skin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending